I Think Pretty Korean Women Get Overrated Due To KDrama's Popularity

Soompi

It's no secret that I can get rather superficial in watching anything. Nobody can deny that I went back to watching Super Sentai because of pretty-looking girls that I'll never have back in the 2000s. I also had moments of being shallow while watching Chinese dramas (whether they be from China or Taiwan), Japanese dramas, and Korean dramas. It's already no secret (and I spilled it) that I once wanted to marry Kim Tae Hee while I was in college because she was so pretty. I just felt like writing this post-Valentine's Day article since I'm feeling pretty Korean women tend to get overrated in the looks department. It's one thing to appreciate K-Drama for the acting and script. It's another thing when all that's done is to overglorify Korean women simply for their looks. It's not like as if there aren't any better-looking women out there.

There have been various Korean doppelgangers across Asia. I'm not a bit surprised that Liza Soberano's face gets compared to Meisa Kuroki-Akanashi. It's no surprise that people have compared Maaya Uchida's appearance to Suzy Bae. Maybe, some have noticed that Kwon Nara looks like Erika Toda-Matsuzaka. Right now, I even feel that Tae Hee's face somewhat resembles Yuko Takayama (who plays Rinko Daimon in Kamen Rider Wizard). I even wonder if some people have noticed that Jin A Nana looks like Shaina Garcia Magdayao and Jeon Yeo Bin looks like Angel Locsin Colmenares-Arce? 

I've got the feeling that the actresses get overrated because of how good the drama is. Some KDramas are bad (and I'm still going to forever consider Jan Di a blot) and I dropped Somebody because of how badly written it is. Meanwhile, I'm not going to shy away from my personal opinion. Maybe, I want to say this but I personally think Shaina is prettier than Nana. Some photos of Shaina reveal she's got a sexy body in contrast to Nana. I even find it funny that Shaina's face NEVER made it into the prettiest faces list while Nana's did? Okay, this is coming from those who placed Liza in the top spot. 

I could remember watching Korean crime series with Nana as a secondary character. Okay, I'm going to confess Nana's acting simply gets the job done. However, I'm going to say that Nana has been more believable as a police officer in Kill It than Shaina was as a late addition police officer in Ang Probinsyano. I even find Shaina's inclusion in Ang Probinsyano to be an utter joke. Nana's got her performance done as Do Hyun Jin from start to end. Shaina's character of Roxanne is just a big joke.

I feel people have been saying Korean actresses looking better than Filipino actresses is but an excuse. Personally, I really don't find a lot of Korean celebrities looking all that good. Some even lack sex appeal or aren't all that pretty. I could say it's hard to choose between Maaya or Suzy on who's prettier (due to the facial resemblance). Maybe, I'm just saying Shaina is prettier than Nana since the former is of Spanish descent. 

I also watch some K-Dramas where I'm aware I don't get an attractive female. Maybe, I'd find Shin Hye Sun pretty if I were a teenager. Right now, I don't even find her attractive. Meanwhile, I need to emphasize that I'd watch any show with Hye Sun as the lead over Shaina as the lead. The reason has that Hye Sun, while considered ugly by some people (but she's always found confidence around that), is a pretty charming performer who gives off her best. Shaina's acting is either so-so or ends up in the Filipino entertainment industry standard. I'd say I can't even get beyond one episode of The Better Half or watch Ang Probinsyano the moment Shaina becomes Roxanne. I'd watch any K-Drama with Hye Sun (or any UNATTRACTIVE actress) over any teleserye with pretty faces. 

Some people don't even want to compare Hye Sun's face to Sarah Jane Elgago. Well, the two kinda look alike though one can't deny Hye Sun as a wider face and fairer skin. I wonder if it's just some kind of psychological excuse (again) when people say that Hye Sun looks nothing like Sarah. Well, Sarah has darker skin than Hye Sun. I even find it funny how some fans call Hye Sun "pretty". I could understand the praise Hye Sun gets for her ACTING. However, I feel calling her "pretty" just feels dull. Calling her beautiful can work IF we're talking about inner beauty. I just refuse to call Hye Sun pretty no matter how much I admire her. I could always say she's beautiful WITHIN even when I refuse to call her that in a physical way. 

____

Pretty much, I think these are all but Freudian excuses. It's pretty much trying to give yourself an excuse in the face of superficial people. Personally, I started to care less about the good looks of the actresses (after that Megaforce fiasco) and chose to focus on the plot. So yeah, I'll just simply acknowledge that it's not about the good looks but the GOOD PLOT that tmatters. 

Comments