How Jan Di Really Nearly Ruined My Experience With K-Drama For Life

If there's any nightmare that goes beyond the end of Halloween - it's how I can still remember how Boys Over Flowers gave me those bad vibes over K-Drama. If there was anyone who I wanted to dub the "Kris Aquino of South Korea" - it was Goo Hye Sun. Although Goo Hye Sun isn't a wreck of a woman - I still feel that she just can't escape the shadow of her bad acting. Heck, Goo Hye Sun was later part of the Korean drama Blood where her performance was a blot. It reminds me of how actresses Kaya Hirasawa and Jennifer Yen both played their respective parts in Kyukyu Sentai GoGoFive and Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue TERRIBLY. That's why I couldn't even shed a tear when Denus gave her life for Zylpheeza or when Queen Bansheera absorbed Vypra into her. Both actresses were just not what was needed for their shows. 

My first exposure to Asianovela to greater degrees, was no doubt, Meteor Garden. I wasn't too intrigued with The Amazing Twins. I even have to laugh at how Judge Bao aired in the Philippines undubbed when it's, I mean, the PHILIPPINES. The Chinese Sunday Theater soon quickly replaced Judge Bao with Judge Dao I mean Daoming Si. ABS-CBN quickly had its own Chinese Sunday Theater. This time it was with Meteor Garden followed up by a cooking show by the late Fu Pei Mei. Pei Mei's show was aired across several networks from RPN-9 to ABC-5 to ABS-CBN. Talk about how the late woman gets a lot of respect for her awesome cooking!

I learned that Meteor Garden was based on Hana Yori Dango. I just accepted it. It was practically a licensed adaptation without the use of any Japanese stock footage, unlike Power Rangers. South Korea did have some adaptations of Japanese stuff too. We have City Hunter which had Lee Min Ho in 2011. It was a pretty good adaptation. However, Boys Over Flowers for me was ust terrible. I even dare say that one of the worst things to ever come out is JAN DI HERSELF.

Maybe, I was being shallow back then. I can't forget how I once had that fanboying moment over Kim Tae Hee. I was 20 years old and she was 25 years old when I confess - I wanted to MARRY HER at one point in my college life. I watched Love Story in Harvard and Forbidden Love to admire her physical beauty. The issue with Koo Hye Sun isn't her appearance. It's all about the actress' really BAD ACTING STYLE. Yes, it's already known that Koo Hye Sun has a really bad acting style. A far cry out from another Hye Sun namely Shin Hye Sun. Shin Hye Sun may not be pretty (though I don't find her hideous) but she deserves recognition for acting. Shin Hye Sun's excellent acting makes it easy for me to overlook her unattractive face. I was able to watch Still 17 and My Golden Life even if Shin Hye Sun is considered ugly by some. 

Boys Over Flowers did have a lot of epic facedesk moments. I feel actress Lee Hye Young was wasted. I saw Lawless Lawyer and found out she made a very good impersonation of retired Philippine judge, Amelita Tolentino. However, Hye Young was perfectly wasted when Jun Pyo's mother is hardly threatening as she should be. It was even made worse whenever Jan Di (as the protagonist ) shows up. At first, I felt it was just because I think Barbie Hsu (who later remarried a Korean) and Mao Inoue (who I once thought was Toshiki Inoue's daughter) had better acting. Goo Hye Sun just overacts, chews everything, and seems to be like another Kris. Jan Di was practically the cake of everything wrong with K-Drama.

Rigth now, I even feel Goo Hye Sun might as well migrate to the Philippines. Maybe, she can start her own show called Jan Di TV in the Philippins. I still feel she's totally a wreck in K-Drama. I still got dizzy with Boys Over Flowers. I actually blame her the most as to why I almost dropped K-Drama. 

Comments