Skip to main content

When I Watched "Love Story In Harvard" On GMA-7 For The Right And Wrong Reasons

I was thinking about the time Love Story in Harvard aired in the Philippines from August 16, 2006 to October 12, 2006. I can no longer my stupid closet desire back in college then that I wanted to marry Kim Tae Hee for my wife even if she was five years my senior. I wasn't really big into Korean stuff but I decided to watch it because in my mind - Kim Tae Hee is hot and I must watch it. It could be compared to when Anakin Skywalker when he said that being around Padme was intoxicating in Attack of the Clones. I could imagine myself wanting to marry her. Though, the schedule of the show was rather late and there was school the next day - so I really, REALLY had to sacrifice not watching it. 

In my mind, I totally already (and secretly) wanted to marry Tae Hee one way or another. This was a weird incident of fanboyism that was triggered by a love for Korean food. I didn't expect myself to get stuck into the whole fad. Now, the show is a vague memory to me except my crush on Tae Hee which would make me sing "Diana" by Paul Anka. The love triangle was between Dustin Kim and Alex Hong for Allison Lee (which are the Tagalog dub names). Allison was a poor student who was striving to pay for her medical school bills while the men after her were from wealthy families. 

So, I could say fanboyism can be a closet thing but I did a rather poor job covering it. I remembered how I actually kept taking about Allison (Tae Hee's character) more than the show itself. People suspected I had a crush on the actress and I tried to deny it. Not seeing the show every night because I had to study for exams and whatever was a bit of a help. However, it didn't help that there were times I dreamed she was my tutor (and fortunately, I DID NOT get any back subjects in college) or that she was my wife. Some dreams where she was my wife put me in a peculiar position because was five years my senior. It was also that time when Rain (her husband) was also getting known in his role in Full House. Rain was about to become the "another lover" in the song "Goodbye Diana" for me after some time.

Though, there was an also interesting story line too. Good thing that the interesting story was there to distract me away from Tae Hee's pretty face. Ironic that I don't watch teleseryes even if the teleseryes had eye candy. The plot of chemicals causing Allison's leukemia was an interesting point.Fortunately, I didn't end up crying like a baby like I did during Autumn in My Heart when Jenny was dying. Though, I still had (to a certain extent) that stupid fantasy of marrying Tae Hee along the way. Fortunately, I had that reality check when I realized that my obsession with her was truly getting in the way.

For me, the whole series was worth watching again on DVD. It was really and for me one engaging series. So, I did eventually miss a lot of episodes since I prioritized my studies in college. For me, I can never cease to laugh remembering that this even happened. 

Comments