Skip to main content

I'm Checking Out "The King's Avatar" Chinese Web TV Series

I admit, that I've grown stranger with newbie Chinese actors and actresses because of my obsession with Japanese Tokusatsu and Korean drama. Then again, I'm just that casual fan of that stuff. Test my knowledge with the producers, authors, stuntmen, etc. and you will realize that I'm just a guy who had to Google stuff in order to find out who's who behind the scenes. I did give a similar series known as Love O2O a shot and it was just too focused on the romantic side. Yup, it was more on the romantic side than the whole competitive side. Sure, you had people meeting but TV dramas do get boring when they get too focused on the romantic side of things. It seems The King's Avatar will have both what I want -- action and romance.

The series itself has the Anime feel. It's a live adaptation or remake of the Donghua animation of the same name. I haven't been so familiar with Chinese animation and I'm outdated with Anime. The series may be Chinese-made but you can't deny it's FULL of Japanese inspiration. The Manga was a Japanese invention (which would inspire Manhua comics for both Chinese and Korean), there's the artwork that's very similar to the Final Fantasy series by Squaresoft, there's a lot of Anime reference for a Chinese-themed show. What do you expect when the Chinese series has also adapted from various Japanese works and Japanese have adapted from various Chinese works throughout the years?

The plot involves the fall and rise of the hero Ye Xiu (Yang Yang who is also the leading star of Love O2O's Xiao Nai) who freaking looks like could've been a Kamen Rider. He voluntarily resigns from his team, Team Excellent. He ends up trying to climb up back and he joins the Happy Internet Cafe. He ends up as a clueless, clumsy guy while he has to face his boss Chen Guo (the owner played by Jiang Shuying) and Tang Rou (the manager of the said cafe played by Daisy Li) who becomes his rival. Tang Rou has fast hands but she couldn't match up to the skills of Ye Xiu (yet). I'm just wanting to see how they will form Team Happy especially when the main character Ye Xiu wants to regain his former glory after leaving as Team Excellent's captain.

Right now, I'm just watching this at my own pace so please don't expect episode reviews. I may write  a halfway thought and final thoughts. But since I may watch it at a very irregular interval then just don't expect episode reviews here. Also, I want to focus on making the Vagabond and Kamen Rider Zero-One reviews on focus. Then I may consider popping out random posts related to this web series at a very irregular interval too.

Comments