O2O Romance - When Mary Sue Falls For Gary Stu

Well it was really some time to adjust to watching some new school Chinese drama considering that most of my new school preferences as of late are on Kamen Rider, Super Sentai (and I'm liking this year's Lupinranger vs. Patranger and last year's Kyuranger was a fun rocket ship ride) or not to mention I've got the K-Drama craze going on. It was a huge adjustment though I ended up watching O2O Romance. Just hearing that it's one of the most watched Chinese TV series made me want to check it out.

Okay, I usually prefer action-based Chinese drama filled with all the super crazy fight scenes while I think watching some love stories can be a change of pace. At first, I just decided to watch two episodes per night to discipline myself. But I ended up trying to speed up the pace -- maybe it's because Mary Sue meets Gary Stu. Such people are a hard find in real life. Xiao Nai is good looking, good in sports and academics. Wei Wei is pretty inside out and she's intelligent -- though I wish she was portrayed to be nerdy and awkward to balance her character.

This show tries to portray both characters to have their flaws in real life. Xiao Nai gets enamored with Wei Wei at a distance. At first, they meet at gaming but they must try to get real. Gary Stu meets Mary Sue but can they make it work? They realize that in spite of them being the "ideal guy" and "idea girl" that they must overcome all odds in real life. The two realize that their feelings must be real to make a relationship work and not rely on online experience. They realize that they must face their weaknesses and shed off their seemingly perfect facades.

Overall, I kinda like it for the romances. But again, I thought about maybe Wei Wei could have been made more awkward. Give her glasses. Make her dress much less fashionably. Let her be unaware of her physical beauty or choose a not so attractive actress for the role. I think the whole idea of Gary Stu and Mary Sue dating can be too awkward and funny at the same time. 

Comments