First Impressions On Disney's ONGOING Series, "Moving"

It's no secret that I do have issues with Disney right now. I don't like how Disney is handling Marvel, it's getting wokified, and the live-action remakes are usually JUST. PLAIN. SUCK. Maybe, I could still give credit to Aladdin since it was still watchable. However, I didn't like the way Beauty and the Beast live-action remake turned out to be. I think Mulan live-action remake makes Mulan too powerful. Better watch the Mulan (2009) Hong Kong movie starring Vicki Zhao instead! I also don't like Disney's version of Star Wars since I'm pretty much a fan of the Lucas Canon aka Legends. I just hate how my favorite villain Palpatine became just an act of desperation. 

Then there's this series Moving. This isn't a very surprising move where KDrama meets the X-Men. Fortunately, the production doesn't make it that blatant except for the mutant powers that the cast members have. There's no Professor X counterpart in a wheelchair. There's no Jean Grey counterpart. We don't have a human-mutant war as a plot. Instead, it's about three mutants and some other mutant seniors. There are mutant parents siring mutant children. It's almost like reimagining X-Men WITHOUT trying to be the series. I can imagine what the late Stan Lee would've felt if he were still alive today. Maybe Lee might've made a cameo. Hopefully, they do make a reference to Marvel's founder one way or another.

Some casting can be rather awkward though

Han Hyo Joo is only 36, and Zo In Sung is only 42 they're the parents of 25-year-old Lee Jung Ha. Jung Ha would merely be 11 years younger than Hyo Joo (unless Hyo Joo got into a rare case of prepubescent pregnancy) and 17 years younger than In Sung. Well, technically, In Sung CAN be the father of Jung Ha if he were a teenage father. Yet, it doesn't seem like that whether Kim Doo Sik (In Sung) and Lee Mi Hyun (Hyo Joo) were early parents or not. It does somehow feel good that a certain amount of effort was made to make Kim Bong Seok's (Jung Ha) parents look like they're older than their actual age. 43-year-old Lee Jae Man is also the father of 24-year-old Kim Do Hoon. Like WUT? Do Hoon is merely nine years younger!   This is also a case of Dawson Casting where adults play teenagers. 

I could say that I do have a shallow reason to watch it. It's been emotionally tough for me for some time. I try to look tough but I know I should just stop pretending to be. I'd say that Go Yoon Jung gives me a shallow reason to watch it. Heck, some drama fans are so shallow to say that Go Yoon Jung is the "best thing so far". Right now, she would be 27 years old but she's playing a HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT. Talk about EXTREME Dawson Casting. I got tempted to compare her to Amy Jo Johnson (though the first Asian actress I compared to Amy was Rin Takanashi way back in 2009). It's because Amy was cast as a teenager in Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers while she was 23 years old. I dare compare her to Gracie Dzienny as well. It's because Gracie has been cast as a college student as an ADULT such as in Bumblebee. It sounds stupid but yeah I did it! It's no different than my stupid comparison of Suzy Bae to Victoria Justice (because of their vocals), Shin Hye Sun to Miranda Cosgrave (SUPER FORCED but both are funny girls), and Jin A Nana to Emma Roberts (SUPER DUPER FORCED). Take note I also compare Koo Hye Sun (who I believe is the blot of K-Drama) to Ariana Grande! One thing to note with both Yoon Jung and Gracie is that both attractive females are actually capable of kicking perverts!

I think Yoon Jung has a bit more accurate casting. She's portrayed as the daughter of 52-year-old Ryu Seung Ryong. The age gap is 25 years though most men tend to marry later in life these days. Some people marry in their 20s and I'm glad that Yoon Jung can't feel awkward with the casting. I feel the best moments are when Yoon Jung interacts with her on-screen father. One could always say that I became the father of my classmate in a school play. However, a TV series is a different issue. That's why I even laughed when Jerry Yan's on-screen paternal grandmother in My Splendid Life really looks like she should be HIS MOTHER.

Back to the plot

The story moves to explore the lives of mutant parents and their mutant children. It was nice to see Cha Tae Hyun act as a school bus driver with electrical ability (Jeon Gye Do). Tae Hyun's acting in Police University had a lot of impact. Going to Jeongwon High School is no walk in the park. There may be no mutant-hunting Sentinels or no direct orders (yet) to hunt down the mutants. There's still prejudice and high school life to think about. 

There's also the Korean National Intelligence Service (NIS). Seeing 70-year-old Moon Sung Keun act as the head of the NIS (Min Yong Jun) is a charm. That old man really knows how to act and I wish I knew him personally. The NIS has been training agents with superpowers for some reason. Since I'm not yet deep into the series then I can't really tell what's going on. The series seems to copy some bits of X-Men: First Class since there's the slow kick. K-Dramas are mostly fast-paced but some try to slow things down for an exposition.

Right now, I'm watching it at an irregular pace. I wonder if Disney can actually pull this off. Take note that I'm putting a very low bar with this series. It's because newer Disney has been producing one disaster after the other. I think Moving might be at least a good series.

Comments