"I Just Dropped My Smartphone" May Be An Eye Opener Psychological Thriller


I decided to check out this Netflix movie which I treated like an unwrapped birthday present. The film's literal meaning is I Just Dropped My Smartphone while the international distribution title is Unlocked. I wanted to watch some legal K-Drama but with me watching some more older Tokusatsu (for now) - I felt watching this movie would be better than my planned watch of the legal comedy Love to Hate You. The source material is Japanese novelist Akira Teshigawara and a Japanese film named Stolen Identity.

A familiar face returns when Chun Wo Hee (of Argon) returns as the main character. It was fun seeing Wo Hee and her excellent acting in Argon. Sure, I don't find her pretty but good acting matters more. Though I kinda wanted Shin Hye Sun to be the main lead even if Wo Hee still convinces me that she's in a state of dilemma. We also have Im Si Wan as "Oh Jeon Yeong" (his real identity is a mystery) and some brutal murders. A father thinks his son was committing the crimes. However, what the father discovers is more shocking and it dwells into spoiler territory.

The film really has the dilemma of being framed. Wo Hee gets kicked out of her workplace. Wo Hee also loses her best friend. This technician carrying the name Jeon Yeong starts to cause mayhem. Wo Hee accidentally dropped her phone and this "Jeon Yeong" installs spyware after repairing it. Wo Hee's life is thrown into such a mess that she decides to start taking things into her own hands. Every moment is a thriller as SEVEN CONFIRMED DEAD BODIES are there. One of the dead bodies' identities is assumed by this seemingly nice but sinister villain. Im Si Wan does a wonderful job making you hate his character.

As the film progresses, there are really some complex mysteries and it ain't all that easy. I love how Wo Hee decides to finally prepare for the fight of a lifetime. What I love about Wo Hee (and what turns me on) is how gutsy she is. I was reminded of how Memoirs of a Murderer where Kim Seol Hyun shows her gutsy and soft side. It was amazing to see Wo Hee finally snap, go crazy, and ends up ironically become a national sensation after trying to evade a stalker. 

I think the eye-opener can be this. NEVER drop your Smartphone just anywhere. If not, put a really strong password. It would also be smart to avoid spyware. The film is more than just entertaining. It should help you think, "What if it could happen to me?" 

Comments