I'm Done Watching "Kamen Rider Revice"

 

Well, it's the end of Kamen Rider Revice and the beginning of Kamen Rider Geats. Yup, Geats may be intentionally a Battle Royale in tribute to Kamen Rider Ryuki - a series I believe failed to meet its potential. I was watching through it and I felt there are some good and bad points. Now, I'd like to give my thoughts on how the series went. I think it'd be a good time to actually give my thoughts. 

SPOILERS AHEAD! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I felt the show was trying to do plenty of family drama and about humanity. For instance, even the Deadmen have their humanity involved. We have Giff's plot. We also have the betrayal within Fenix - a plot that I felt dragged itself for too long. I could remember enjoying Kamen Rider Zero-One but I felt the whole plot where Yua Yaiba hangs around Gai Amatsu is DRAGGING. I felt that the five-part challenge should've been a FIVE EPISODE PLOT and NOT TEN EPISODES. I feel the same thing happened when Daiji Igarashi becomes a misguided fool. Hideo Akaishi's a pretty cool villain if you ask me.

I think the plot concerning Giff just got overturned. Giff finally emerged after Hideo Akaishi got written off. It was verified when we saw a BTS photo where Jun Hashimoto posed with Wataru Hyuga. I guess Hashimoto's contract was only up to that episode. Giff appears but ends up getting underutilized. Instead, the next episodes meant to wrap up Revice ends up focusing on friends and family - A LOT. Yup, it's all about internal struggles instead.

The way the finale was written may remind me of Kamen Rider Blade. Blade's ending was more of making a tough decision for the greater good. I feel the whole finale focused on family drama than a cool final battle is... WEIRD. I'm also reminded of the way that Kamen Rider Kuuga's finale was written. The second to the last episode had Kuuga achieve his ultimate form, battles N-Daguva-Zeba in a full battle, and the final episode is a pure epilogue. Sure, Kuuga relaunched the franchise from the grave. However, I felt the finale was akin to that of your regular J-Drama. I even remembered how I talked with someone saying the new Kamen Rider series are like telenovelas. That's why I write any Kamen Rider series reviews from Kuuga up to whatever comes next HERE. 

There's George Karizaki going crazy and temporarily becoming Kamen Rider JUUGA. Is Juuga an intentional pun on Kuuga? George is simply trying to save the world but doing it wrong. Later, we see George finally realize he's loved. I find the heroes can get too forgiving at times. Though, George himself hasn't done major damage either. Still, I think both George and Daiji should do some jail time and community service to make up for what they did.

The final episode has Vice finally sacrificing himself. Ikki lost all his memories of his loved ones. Eventually, Ikki and Vice fight to the finish for this reason. Vice wants Ikki's memories restored. Vice finally disappears. A few months later, things start to change. Heck, Kagero, Daiji's evil twin, even starts to get reformed with the other Deadmen. Meanwhile, Sakura Igarashi prepares for medical school. Hikaru Ushijima, another former Rider, runs into her. 

Though, I feel Subaru Bartsch making an appearance can be unwelcoming for some. I guess not so many can forget the blackface incident with the pizza, right? Somebody I knew wanted to skip the series entirely. Kazuoyoshi Miura, a famous football player, also appears as HIMSELF in a work of fiction. Did Toei Ltd. pay Miura to endorse the series? Maybe, maybe not. The ending seems to hint though that Revice may appear in future crossovers. Will Revice have a crossover with Geats? Maybe, maybe not. Then again, like Revice, I'll be watching Geats at an irregular interval due to real life issues. 

Comments

  1. Hello. A bit of a correction. It was IKKI whose memory of Vice got lost. Not Daiji, since he is the partner of Kagero.
    Also, a Movie War film involving Geats and Revice is in the works and is slated to be released in Japanese theaters this coming December.
    Hope this clear things up for you.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks fo rthe correction! I really wrote this article at the dead of night. Anyway, I wouldn't be writing any more episode reviews as much as possible.

      Delete

Post a Comment