How "Cafe Minamdang" Still Kept Me Interested Even If There Are Better KDrama Crime Series Out There

Cafe Minamdang is coming to an end up by next week. Yup, it's going to be the end of the 18 episodes long Korean crime drama. A strange mix of Anime-style humor and mystery (which there are some darker situations) make it a fun watch. Sure, I might admit that I preferred the approach of Pride and Prejudice where the romance segment was between two prosecutors. Meanwhile, I always feel like the romance between a fallen profiler-turned shaman (Nam Han Joon) and a righteous police officer (Han Jae Hee) was still interesting. 

True, I'm not getting my wacky wishful thinking BUT the cast still delivers its results. Part of me wished Jin A Nana were Jae Hee because she looks better than Oh Yeon Seo. However, Yeon Seo's excellent acting skills is more than enough to captivate me. Nana isn't all that good. Though, another reaosn why I'd prefer Nana is because Yeon Seo's part is rather sidelined and she's been more mainline material. Nana works better for the sidelines. I still think Seo In Guk fulfills the part just as much as Choi Jin Hyuk would. Though, my preference for Jin Hyuk is because he's not good-looking AND he can act. Still, In Guk delivers the results that I wanted and that's what's more important.

The cast of characters can have their comedy moments. I think the conflict between Han Joon and Jae Hee is fun to watch. Seeing how Han Joon goes from profile to "shaman" is one thing. Han Joon gets entangled bcause Jae Hee's deceased brother was his comrade. Jae Hee hid the fact that her brother died in a crime scene many years ago. The conflict can have their funny moments (such as the hospital kiss scene where I wished which made me wish Jin Hyuk and Nana were cast instead) to serious moments. The comedy seems to be more timed to awkward real-life moments. Though, that stungun scene felt like it was taken from an Anime than real-life comedy.

The more interesting part is trying to figure out a complex network. There's the shaman who calls herself Auntie Im. There's the sibling rivalry between Director Cha Seung Woon and Prosecutor Cha Do Woon. Interesting mysteries that to show between the two sides. Seung Woon has been involved in some illegal activities. However, Do Woon turns out to be a crook who appears clean-cut. The freaky flashback of Do Woon at the psychiatric clinic is an interesting watch. Do Woon's disturbing childhood is one thing worth checking out. Do Woon does get some treatment. However, Do Woon seems to have been puppetting people all along!

As the Ghost Month is entering its final week - Cafe Minamdang is certainly ending next week. I wonder how will our hero Han Joon get out of the predicament that he's been framed? I really can't wait for next week. Though, patience is a virtue otherwise this can become a mess if it had a daily schedule, right? 

Comments