It's Not About Good Looks, It's About What K-Dramas Bring To The Table


It's no secret that I tend to watch anything for stupid reasons.Yes, it's been a major flaw in my system where I tend to watch shows for the pretty ladies. I remember watching K-Drama for the cute or attractive actresses such as when I watched Autumn in My Heart and Forbidden Love because I fiund the women attractive. I also remember rewatching Super Sentai during the 2000s and for what? The attractive women can be easily spotted in Ninpuu Sentai Hurricanger, Bakuryu Sentai Abaranger, Tokosou Sentai Dekaranger, Gougou Sentai Boukenger, and Samurai Sentai Shinkenger to name those series. Then I thought about why I even watched the super-AWFUL Power Rangers Megaforce. Sure, it had attractive ladies but one can't deny that the show is just a huge waste of budget. That show even made me cringe all the more about how the Power Rangers franchise got even worse under the second Saban era! Then I remembered one time I actually said to myself about Super Sentai - it's not about the eye candy but what's brought to the table!

The recent K-Dramas I watched (and enjoyed) didn't have any eye candy. Take Shin Hye Sun for example. She's unattractive and she gets bashers online who bash her for being ugly. However, her tenacity to ignore such comments and not to take them to heart. She had starred in sideline roles. In Strangers she was eventually written off near finale which was presumably so she should pursue her first leading role in My Golden Heart which won her an award. I really could go ahead and speak about her lack of face and curves BUT I could always praise her acting. First time I saw her act was in Hymn of Death and I thought about how Still 17 got me hooked. My Golden Heart also had me hooked one way or another. Lack of eye candy will always be made up by the good acting that truly brings the best in every character.

What became my new habit now is not to look for eye candy. Instead, it's all about getting the plot and finding what it's all about. Sure, I do get my superficiality kicking in every now and then, especially when I'm feeling tired. However, any bad show with lots of eye candy still deserves to be ripped and burned for what it is. Some of those K-Dramas involving crime and journalism didn't have attractive actresses to drool upon. However, the engaging story is more than enough to convince me to stay and watch any good series for what it is - a good series!

Comments