Skip to main content

Independence Day, Aliens, And Armageddon References In Kamen Rider Zi-O's Kamen Rider Kabuto Arc

Kamen Rider Kabuto is what I'd call "Patrick Star's one shot wonder" while this arc was actually written by Nobuhiro Mouri. I know I've had issues with the ToQGer vs. Gaim crossover and I would still consider Yasuko Kobayashi's involvement of the Shinkenger arc in Decade and Riku Sanjo's Ninnninger vs. Drive to be the superior crossover. Now, I just felt like Decade redeemed itself and this is way better than the Kabuto arc in Kamen Rider Decade. Yup, Tsusaka Kadoya is back once again in an important role that Dex in Saban's Mashed Rider will NEVER get. Also, a startling revelation is about to be given.

What I like about this one is the appearance of several mainstay members of Kabuto. I wanted Souji Tendo but I think the actor Hiro Mizushima must be too busy with his family. You know what happens when your heroes marry, right? But we do have the characters Arata Kagami (Gatack), Sou Yaguruma (KickHopper and Another Kabuto) and "Shun Kageyama" (who is actually a worm). I just thought of how I watched Kamen Rider Kabuto, it wasn't all that fascinating except for the food section (and I feel like Gordon Ramsay would probably love the show) though I'd call it a decent show and Yonemura's ONLY decent series so far.

The show itself doesn't really stop with Hollywood movie references. Heck, the whole episode felt like a Hollywood budget even if it isn't. I wonder are the movies Independence Day, Aliens and Armageddon THAT POPULAR in Japan? Do the Japanese love them so much that this episode has then? Dekaranger already had an Armageddon reference in the late 40s episodes. This episode has a giant meteorite that brought in the Worms. Then you have the Worms which feel like a cross between the Xenomorphs and Harvesters. Heck, the Worms even copy the DNA of others. I just feel like Ridley Scott would probably be proud of Kamen Rider Kabuto. Now, there's the plot of a meteor colliding with Earth and there's NOTHING the heroes can do about it.

Now the sideline story involves the relationship between Schwartz and Tsukuyomi. Tsukasa gets involved to help reveal an important plot point. They go somewhere into the future and visit the house of Tsukuyomi before the Dawn of Demon King Zi-O. I don't find it surprising that Schwartz is the older brother of Tsukuyomi -- which explains why Tsukuyomi could stop time. What are Schwartz's motives that he suddenly decided to give the space-related powers (Fourze and Ginga) to his younger sister? Somehow, the plot twists and turns aren't really getting into me just yet.

No food cooked (and that seems to be the reason why I watched Kabuto) BUT...

I think Gordon Ramsay would give his approval!

Comments