The Dawn Of Kamen Rider Zi-O

Well this should be my first post for the month and it's on Kamen Rider Zi-O -- though I don't think I'd actually do a weekly update on this one to avoid biting more than I could chew since I'm also doing weekly Lupinranger vs. Patranger posts -- while I'm trying to look for some decent new school K-Drama to watch. So what's up with Zi-O? Well I'd like to give my impressions on the first episode. At the same time, I'm trying to do Sentai Bandicoot's style of episode reviews -- one picture only and direct to the point. I also sort of did that with most of my What's Wrong With Secretarty Kim reviews.

In the future, the main protagonist Sougo Tokiwa ends up becoming the world dictator known as Devil King Zi-O. I almost got thrown back to the past -- back when Nickelodeon didn't suck. I could suddenly remember that Danny Phantom TV movie where the main protagonist ended up becoming the tyrannical ruler of the future. What's funny is that the protagonist Sougo is a high school student, he's got exams to take and lemme do a Wild Mass Guess -- the alternate dystopian future is a result of him CHEATING on his achievement test by stealing test results? I know Butch Hartman left the now decayed network Nickelodeon six months ago (and I commend him for his brave decision to cut ties with a network that's been ungrateful to him) so don't tell me he's now working with Toei Ltd.? Just kidding but I just love bringing him up not ever since I really enjoyed Kamen Rider Fourze's wild and wacky adventures or how I think Kamen Rider Kiva is an improvised version of Danny Phantom.

What you see in the future and what you see back then may be different. I'm taken back to the past when I remembered the Cell Saga of Dragon Ball Z. Future Trunks tried to destroy both Android 17 and Android 18 in the past but found out that they were too carefree compared to what he saw in his timeline. After Tsukuyomi goes back into the past -- the present Sougo in the year 2018 is nothing like the Sougo fifty years later. Well, some people can change overtime given the worst circumstances. What's worse is that Geiz Myoukouin or Kamen Rider Geiz appears, hoping to stop the rise of Kamen Rider Zi-O but it happens. But how will Zi-O become Devil King Zi-O and what can be done to prevent it without killing Zi-O? If ever it happened because Sougo decides to cheat on his test -- will the heroes from fifty years later be able to stop it from happening?

What should be interesting is the time travel done. Not only are we taken to the time of the dinosaurs (and I almost wanted to sing Zyuranger's theme song, Abaranger's theme song and Kyoryuger's theme song all at once), to the time of the Edo era and how in the world did they land in the World of Build where the Sky Wall is still present? Time travel or are we hopping across the Multiverse? It was confirmed in the EX-AID/Build crossover that Build is another world. Build's ending reveals that two parallel worlds merged into one. Since Zi-O is well putting all 19 Kamen Riders of the Heisei era into one show then maybe it's now another What If scenario just like they did with Kamen Rider Decade? I don't mind that all really such as long as it's carried out well. It's like I don't mind if the Space Squad movies aren't canon to their respective series as long as it's carried out well.

So far, the first episode is widely impressive. I just hope that this means it's a huge improvement for Kento Shimoyama's career as a headwriter. The only fear right now may be linked to Shinichiro Shirakura. I just hope Shirakura doesn't decide to do something really stupid like what he did with Kamen Rider Decade as its producer! On the other hand, I'm still going to be watching it though I can't be too sure I'll devote every week for some episode reviews like this!

Comments