Kamen Rider Fourze: A Fun Trip To Space And Back To Earth


I admit that there was a time when Super Sentai and Kamen Rider used to have heavy doses of nightmare fuel. When Kamen Rider made its major return in with Kamen Rider Kuuga, I still gave a thought on how Kamen Rider Kuuga up to Kamen Rider Kabuto were nightmare fueled seasons. Most of the Kamen Riders that followed it were less scary and more fun rides like Kamen Rider Den-O (though there may be a few segments that were scary) and Kamen Rider Kiva (though I think Fangire attacks did give a moderate nightmare fuel for an otherwise fun show). Now it's time to talk about Kamen Rider Fourze's "It's Space Time!".

I remembered watching Kamen Rider Super-1 some time after I watched Kamen Rider Fourze. Super-1 was an attempt at space but ended up having a six year hiatus before the dawn of the blockbuster Kamen Rider Black. Is it me or is the Showa era of Kamen Rider something of a struggle? Anyway, I thought about how Fourze succeeded where Super-1 failed in the space theme and an astronaut. No, Gentaro Kisaragi DID NOT get operated upon and become a cyborg. He simply became a Kamen Rider with the Fourze belt.


Sometimes, an idiot main character is more entertaining than annoying if written right. I think Gentaro Kisaragi is definitely one character who may be somewhat stupid (IQ-wise) but he has shown more common sense than the boy genius Kengo Utahoshi at times. He's simply happy-go-lucky by default but he always gets serious when he needs to. I still can't forget how he converted Shun out of his jerk shell into becoming a member of the Kamen Rider Club. He also did the same with Mio who was once the campus queen. He managed to get things done and always found a way to save misguided Zodiarts who were students turned into monsters.


Okay, I think there's a little amount of nightmare fuel but it's very low considering it's been more of a fun show. The Zodiarts IMO are an improved version of the Dopants from Kamen Rider W. Principal Gamou has a dark secret which only the audience knew about. Not everyone was aware that the principal himself was responsible for the Zodiart incidents in Amanogawa High School. The Zodiarts are somewhat scary which balances the show's otherwise lighthearted nature. Though there aren't much blood and death but they do balance the show. Just think what if your school principal was passing Zodiart switches to the students?

What I like about the show is that it's probably what I'd call "Planet Sheen Done Right". Gentaro acts as a more mature Sheen Estevez and Kengo is a more mature Jimmy Neutron. But it's not entirely a Nicktoon either. It still keeps the spirit of Kamen Rider no matter how lighthearted the show is. I still feel like rewatching the show as often as I can to get a good laugh and enjoy the fun of this rather lighthearted show. It's already 2017 and I'm currently watching Kamen Rider Build (which is also a fun show) though I just can't get my head off of how much I felt younger watching this show.

Comments