Skip to main content

ABS-CBN's And GMA-7's Poorly Done Tagalog Dubbed K-Drama Theater


I did previously write about ABS-CBN and GMA-7 having their poorly done Tagalog dub Chinese theater -- now I'd like to recall the time when K-Drama ended up creating a massive flood. I was thinking of the moments of how I didn't really like it at first until I started eating Korean food or how I didn't think too highly of it. Also, I had the bad habit of not watching it unless there was some pretty main heroine such as Autumn in My Heart, Full House and Endless Love.

I remembered how GMA-7 and ABS-CBN didn't only have their airwaves war through the Chinese theater -- the South Korean theater was also coming to town. I could remember it was that time I didn't really care too much about Korean drama because I don't like the K-Pop bandwagon associated with it. Also, I wasn't exactly too fond of K-Pop either. I'd only watch the shows without paying too much attention to the soundtrack itself.

There was a time when K-Drama was getting the bad dub treatment alongside C-Drama whether it came from Taiwan (also known as the People's Republic of China) or China. If the tragedy of Lavender wasn't enough -- there was also Autumn in My Heart. The progressive cancer scenes really made me dread watching another K-Drama. I ended up watching Full House for rather stupid reasons and didn't want to admit it. I was developing a crush on the main character who was dubbed as Jesse by GMA-7. There was also Sweet 18, Love Story in Harvard, Iljimae, Shining Inheritance, Summer Scent, All About Eve, Glass Shoes, Jewel in the Palace, Stairway to Heaven and Winter Sonata from what I could remember.

ABS-CBN was also having (at times) better serving with some mediocre quality kimchi to go along with it. I thought for a time that ABS-CBN had better shows during that time such as What Happened in Bali, Green Rose, Stained Glass or the action oriented ones such as my favorite tragedy Forbidden Love. I couldn't forget how I enjoyed the high quality of stunts from Forbidden Love. Also, ABS-CBN ended up showing the fourth of the endless love series over GMA-7 which was Spring Waltz. I thought about how I would watch either which show for either good reasons or stupid reasons.

I'm wondering why wasn't or isn't there a Sunday Korean theater? It could be something if you had a Korean K-Drama aired and the later segment would involve a Tagalog-dubbed Korean cooking or variety show alongside? Still, I really feel like that the dubber would probably just make me lose interest in watching the Korean cooking show. It could have been something if they started presenting some various Korean variety shows to help expose Filipinos more to South Korean culture. But while at it -- will they please DO A BETTER JOB with their dubbing?

Comments