I Enjoy The Best Of Korean Culture While I Hate Koreaboo Bandwagons

I'm a fan of quality Korean drama (though I'm selective like every culture). What bothers me though is the annoying Koreaboo Bangwagon. What's a bandwagon you may ask? Investopedia would define it as, "The bandwagon effect is a psychological phenomenon in which people do something primarily because other people are doing it, regardless of their own beliefs, which they may ignore or override. The bandwagon effect has wide implications, but is commonly seen in politics and consumer behavior." What's a Koreaboo? Weeaboos are those who aren't Japanese but overrates Japanese culture. Koreaboos are those who aren't South Korean but they overrate South Korean culture. 

Some people just get into Korean drama or culture because they fear that they don't conform to their Koreaboo peers or even society even if it goes against their own productive individuality. Exposure to Korean culture was something new and people just picked it and more people picked it. The Korean bandwagon just kept getting bigger and bigger where people got into it to "look cool" and not to be labeled as an "outsider". That means some Korean culture were actually forcing their views on others who don't like Korean culture while others failed to defend their productive individualism as a result. 

What's worse about with Koreaboo bandwagons is that you can soon expect some internal bullying one way or another. It's just like the experience I've had with bandwagons. I don't like the latest entry of a certain franchise because either it sucks or it's not my cup of tea -- I end up getting "left out" and they say that I'm stupid for not liking it. They end up trying to become one hive that just wants to blindly accept everything from their side as good and everyone else's side as bad and you must conform and never have an opinion of your own. Worse, they may even tend to care only if something is new rather than if something new actually delivers results. I like what's new not because it's shiny and new -- instead I like it only when it delivers my intended results. 

I just thought of why I got into Korean drama didn't always have a good reason. I guess everyone already knows of the stupid moment where I got into it because certain South Korean girls were kawaii -- though some of them were just results of surgeries but others were just naturally gorgeous. I still can't help but admit how I once enjoyed Autumn in My Heart and Full House for the girl and not for the plot at first sight -- then I started enjoying them for the plot. I got into Korean drama not because I wanted to fit in but only because it was appealing in some way either visually or story-wise. Sometimes, some of them just plain suck. One of my most hated K-Drama is the Korean version of Hana Yori Dango called Boys Over Flowers -- the Taiwanese version was SO MUCH better!

I enjoy Korean food which IMHO tastes better than Japanese food. Sure, I would enjoy having a tonkotsu or bone broth ramen every now and then all the while I think Korean soups such as the seollongtang or someori. I occasionally enjoy Korean music even if in reality I just don't care  too much about the soundtrack vs. the plot of the K-Drama. All the while, I would really like some kimbap, Korean style gyoza (also called mando dumplings), some warm Korean beef soup (specifically the ox bone soup or ox head soup) all the while I want to enjoy some Japanese entertainment and music at the same time.

It's plain and simple. I'm a fan of something because I'm a fan of something. I realized that recently I just don't care anymore about silly fights such as J-Pop culture and K-Pop culture. Instead, I choose to break that rule and enjoy the best and throw out the worst from both worlds. Also, if you don't like Korean culture then fine but don't force your view upon others.

Comments