Wang Zhongwen, Peter Ho, And Not-So-Subtle Hint Of Who Zhongwen Was In Real Life
The late Teresa Teng had a messy love life. However, not all of it was written into the script. Zhou Taisheng may have been based on a real person her brother Deng Changfu talked about, but out of respect, didn't use the real name. The TV drama also skipped her one-time romance with Jackie Chan and the late Lin Zhenfa. Instead, the most-focused one was with Beau Kuok. However, for obvious legal reasons which I didn't know existed — they used the name Wang Zhongwen. I believe that the directors probably talked with Beau Kuok himself, asked about the details, and perhaps even brought the actor Peter Ho and had an agreement that Beau would be portrayed UNDER A PSEUDONYM for privacy reasons. The name Wang Zhongwen was used for that reason.
Was Indonesia used as a creative shield or a reality? I researched the Kuok Group (where Beau came from), and yes, they had a business in INDONESIA. Teresa also had a career in Indonesia. Changfu would've carefully guarded confidential details while using creative liberties to help protect the privacy of people. However, what never changed was that the Wang matriarch (actually the Kuok matriarch) set the condition that Teresa quit the entertainment circle entirely. That was the real life condition given by Beau's paternal grandmother when she still called the shots. Zhongwen's mother also died in the TV series — just like how Beau's mother died at the same time. Creative liberties plus facts can be hard to juggle.
The Baidu Wiki (take any wiki with a GRAIN OF SALT) gave this information that got integrated into the TV series, as well as the source of
Three Harsh Demands, Teresa Teng Sheds Tears
The initial engagement occurred because Beau's mother was diagnosed with cancer. She wished to see her son married and was very fond of Teresa Teng, so she hoped Teresa Teng would marry into the Kuok family. Beau's father was the owner of the Shangri-La Group. At that time, Teresa Teng was already quite popular in Chinese mainland. Having Teresa Teng as a daughter-in-law was expected to be beneficial to the Kuok family's business, so he also hoped his son would marry Teresa Teng. The change in their relationship was related to a meeting Teresa Teng had with Beau's grandmother at the Kuok family home in Singapore before the wedding.
Teresa Teng and Beau were originally scheduled to hold their wedding banquet at the Shangri-La Hotel in Singapore on March 17, 1982. Hong Kong media reported at the time that she had even printed the wedding invitations and prepared her wedding dress. Before the wedding, Beau took Teresa Teng back to his family home in Singapore to meet the elders. As a famous singer, the moment Teresa Teng entered the house, she was surrounded by the Kuok family's servants, who excitedly asked for her autograph. The Kuok family was a rather conservative Chinese family. Beau's grandmother held traditional views and was displeased to see Teresa Teng stealing the spotlight immediately upon entering the home.
While Teresa Teng and Beau were discussing wedding details, Beau's grandmother presented Teresa Teng with three conditions: first, Teresa Teng must provide detailed personal and family background information; second, she must stop all singing and performing activities to focus on being a wife; third, she must sever all ties with the entertainment industry and cut off contact with all male friends. When Teresa Teng heard these demands relayed by Beau, she touched her engagement ring and wept. However, she could understand the strict family rules of the Kuok family and firmly believed Beau would resolve the difficulties. Therefore, she proposed a counter-condition: "I can agree to all the other demands, but at the very least, allow me to record and release albums." However, a few days later, Teresa Teng received Beau's response: "Your proposed condition has not been accepted." Upon hearing this answer, Teresa Teng fell silent. After careful consideration, she ultimately resolutely called off the engagement and parted ways with Beau, whom she deeply loved.
Unwilling to Compromise, Declined to Marry into a Wealthy Family
Most people outside believed that Teresa Teng and Beau's romance ended due to opposition from the Kuok family. However, He Jiangxi stated that this was not the case. "Back then, after her breakup with the young master Kuok, she endured a difficult period. During that time, I visited her at her residence in Singapore, and this set of photos was taken then. I asked her why they broke up. She told me there was no problem with her boyfriend; the issue was with the parents. Because she was a performing artist who sang for a living, that kind of family was unwilling to accept an artist marrying in. I still remember her telling me that marrying into the family was still possible, but she didn't want to anymore, she didn't want to force it.
Teresa Teng's younger brother, Deng Changxi, also revealed in a media interview that Teresa Teng had actually decided to retire from the entertainment industry. Later, she felt that if marrying into the Kuok family was conditional on that, it was an insult to her work, which ultimately led to their parting on bad terms. After Teresa Teng's engagement, her Japanese record company boss, Minoru Shunoki, visited her in Hong Kong. After dinner, from around 8 p.m. until midnight, the two conversed in the lobby of The Peninsula Hotel. Teresa Teng wanted to decline the contract renewal with PolyGram Japan, citing, "I want to get married, I want to live a happy life. I don't want to be bound by work, please set me free!" Later, Shunoki tried to persuade her by saying, "You have so many fans in Japan, your presence is very important." However, Teresa Teng was very firm in her resolve. This shows that she had originally planned to give up all performing activities and focus on being a housewife.
The casting decision still couldn't hide who Zhongwen really is
I thought about Googling Beau Kuok (left) and thought his UNCANNY resemblance with Peter Ho is too hard to ignore. I couldn't imagine what may have happened BTS with Peter and Beau if they ever met. Peter is a Chinese American actor. Beau is a Chinese Malaysian. I don't think the casting was purely coincidental. Sure, Michelle Chen may not look anything like Teresa Teng. However, I still LOLed at how Peter Ho could easily pass off as the younger version of Beau!
I can only think of the conditions Beau probably wanted. Beau was probably aware that he had a "clone" playing as him. To protect the Kuok Group, Beau probably said, "I can allow the drama to be portrayed. However, I request that our name not be mentioned." Newer audiences may not immediately know the story. I can imagine the Google and realizing, "Okay, Wang Zhongwen doesn't exist." The audience had to do the mental lifting of connecting who Zhongwen really was.
I can only imagine what Beau may have said BTS. Such footage would remain confidential out of respect for private individuals. Regardless, I felt that Peter's casting wasn't a coincidence at all!


Comments
Post a Comment