"My Country: The New Age" As A Fictional Drama Based On Real Events

It's been some time since I studied Korean history. After some time -- I decided to check some older Korean dramas that I hadn't watched on Netflix. I was disappointed that My Country: The New Age was bordered on realistic fiction rather than a historical show itself. The disclaimer gave it off that it was realistic fiction. Pretty much, it's trying to explore the end of the Goryeo Dynasty and the beginning of the Joseon Dynasty. 

Two friends come into conflict over how the country should be run. Seo Hwi (Yang Se-jong) is the son of a swordsman wrongfully put to death. Nam Seon-ho (Woo Do-hwan) is the illegitimate son of a high ranking official. Both would have their own personal vendettas along the way. A political maelstrom is there since the two have different ideals on how to run the country. The conflict between the two sides can be fun to watch. 

It should be interesting that the show has some history mixed into it. We have Yi Bang-Won (Taejong) -- based on the monarch of the third dynasty. This reminds me of how Princess Weiyoung has some fictionalized versions of HISTORICAL PEOPLE. Yi Bang-Won and his family here are REAL PEOPLE. The historical detail inserted is that his contributions weren't all that appreciated -- by daddy dearest nonetheless. Historically, Bang-Won is a controversial figure due to how he eliminated many of his rivals. The royal family conflict is typical in power struggles. After all, Bang-Won believed he should be the next king -- due to his accomplishments. Bang-Won spends much of his time trying to kill his half-brother the Crown Prince. Family feuds in royalty are no petty matter.

However, I do have my problem with how Kim Seol-hyun was used. Sure, she's a tough character but she's pretty much sidelined. Was this a test to see what she could do next? Granted, I saw the sci-fi drama Awaken first -- I guess I'm too used to her having more scenes. It was fun seeing her character Hui-Jae as a strong female character. However, the love story with Hwi might be best viewed as just icing on the cake. I felt that there could've been a love triangle between the two friends. For whatever problems I had with her somehow being used as just "eye candy" -- there's significant growth in the actress. It's probable that Director Kim Jung-hyun noticed her actress and gave her an offer. For whatever little Seol-hyun gave during My Country: The New Age -- she had a bigger role in Awaken. Take note that Awaken happened during the dawn of the Legacy Virus. 

For one, it can be quite hard to follow. It's too bad I've forgotten much of Asian history at this point. Meanwhile, I'd prefer to have a non-fictionalized realistic historical drama. Sure, there are some artistic liberties to be expected. At the same time, I feel the conflict can teach us a lot of life lessons. 

Comments