K-Drama Seemingly Refuses To Give Me A Break From Toei's Toku Genres?


There are times when I feel watching some older stuff I haven't checked out -- can be better. It's because I usually prefer watching shows at their own pace. Currently, I'm watching Tale of the Nine-Tailed Fox -- a K-Drama that aired during the Legacy Virus outbreak. I confess I'm more into K-Drama over Super Sentai and Kamen Rider these days. It's already noticeable that I haven't been writing episode reviews. However, as I was watching Tale of the Nine-Tailed Fox -- I couldn't help but make fun of it. It's because Lee Dong Guk looks like Katsumi Hyodo and Jo Bo Ah looks like Kazusa Okuyama (but she hasn't married yet). What came into my mind watching it? The romantic interactions between Lee Yeon and Yi Ah Eum were something Canalo from Kishinryu Sentai Ryusoulger could dream of. Yes, that hilarious scene where Canalo tried to court Tsukasa Myojin of Kaito Sentai Lupinranger vs. Keisatsu Sentai Lupinranger -- only for it to become an epic fail! 


I'd like to confess everything started with noticing Korean actress Suzy Bae looks like Maaya Uchida. It's easy for me to joke that Hikonin Sentai Akibranger would have a third season. However, I'm glad that there's no third season. I got into several K-Dramas after I felt disheartened with Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger (but I believe I'm able to enjoy it now as a watchable mess) and Shuriken Sentai Ninninger is just awful. Ressha Sentai ToQGer got more enjoyable after watching it at my own pace. I watched more dramas with Suzy -- all the while singing a silly rhyme every time she showed up. One of those said dramas was While You Were Sleeping -- a series that could've almost fit into the continuity of Akibaranger.


However, the craving for plot over pretty is there. I learned an incredibly hard lesson during Power Rangers Megaforce -- pretty girls without a plot will still be bad! I soon watched entries where the girl wasn't pretty. My favorite example is Shin Hye Sun -- a girl who looks like Ako Hayasaka of Chojin Sentai Jetman. Sure, I joke how Hye Sun looks like Sarah Elgago but the former has whiter skin and a wider face. Some people say that Hye Sun looks nothing like Sarah. Hye Sun kind of reminds me I used to have a crush on Ako to the point I had a crush who looks like Ako! I end up watching more shows with Hye Sun such as Mr. Queen and Still 17. I ended up watching K-Dramas for the plot over pretty -- I ended up watching crime dramas because of the plot. 


As I was watching Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger -- my mind froze when Kousei Amano showed up. I couldn't recognize Kousei anymore when he made his first appearance in King-Ohger! It's because I was more into K-Drama over Toei's Tokusatsu genres. I even had to search Google because the face looked familiar. I feel watching more K-Drama over Japanese shows gave me some amnesia on certain faces. I only said that Grodie's actor looked familiar but can't even remember where he came from. King-Ohger got dubbed over as Power Rangers Kingdom Force in South Korea. 


What happened next was plain funny. I remember seeing Kim Seol Hyun in Awaken K-Drama. Yes, that sci-fi police show and I felt she's actually better utilized than Ayuri Konno. What was funny was that there were times I thought Seol Hyun was Ayuri. When the Kyoryuger arc happened in King-Ohger -- the first person that came into my head was Seol Hyun! They may look alike but they're not each other. Fortunately, I shook my head a few times to realize I was seeing Ayuri and not Seol Hyun. 

_____

Just my strange recollection before the month ends!


Comments