Chinese Drama "Regeneration" Is Full Of Spoiler Territory


Right now, I want to re-explore Chinese drama whether it be from the People's Republic of China or the Republic of China (Taiwan). I watched a few Taiwanese Chinese crime dramas such as Copycat Killer (based on a Japanese suspense novel) and Victim's Game. These dramas aren't for the weak-hearted. They may not be as gory as American mature series but there's still generous amounts of blood. I may cringe at torture scenes and THANKFULLY we don't get to see that. However, I do love a good investigation drama not ever since I watched the documentary Give Up Tomorrow. It's as long as Copycat Killer which was worth 10 episodes.

To avoid leaking out spoilers -- there's a certain person who only goes by the identity of Fei Ke. Okay, it's really a pun considering Fei Ke sounds TOO SIMILAR to Fake. Fei Ke apparently died but they discovered there was no body. Female journalist He Shan (Zhou Yiran) meets with five other strangers. The five other strangers are Li Zerui (Jing Boran), Chen Shufa (Wang Yanhui), Chen Jiajia (Chen Yuxian), Cheng Hao (Huang Jue), and Liu Mo (He Liao Luyun). 

It's difficult to talk about uncovering clues without the spoilers. A spoiler is one of the five strangers is Fei Ke. You can't fake it until you make it or can you? The story uncovers a series of hidden events in a typical crime drama. Sure, it's not as suspenseful as Copycat Killer (which was also Spoiler Territory). However, it's still enough to keep me engaged to watch it. It's like I ate something delicious last week and ate something less delicious this week. I enjoyed both dishes but I'd like one over the other. 

Comments