"My Man Is Cupid" Is Pretty Much Mixing Romantic Comedy With Some Legal Drama (Some Spoilers)


It's known that I don't find Jin A Nana all too great. There are times I feel that she's good as a sideline character but not as the mainline. Sure, I enjoyed her in Oh My Ladylord or Memorials. However, I feel Nana's acting is simply meant to be meant for the sideline. So yeah, her role as Baek Ryun in My Man is Cupid was okay. It's because Baek Ryun isn't the main character. Baek-Ryun as a vet does fit Nana well. Catwoman in the Batman series is pretty much an animal lover. Meanwhile, Cheon Sang Ruk still does a good job as Jang Dong Yun.

The story involves the romance of fairies and humans. Obviously, such stories tend to have predictable (or unpredictable) ones. Maybe, some Chinese people are familiar with the story of Cowherd and Weaver Girl. That was the Chinese story of a farmer who married an Elder Goddess, and even had demigod children with her, much to the chagrin of his mother-in-law, the Empress of Heaven, Xi Wangmu. Here, the fairies are male cupids. Unlike Greek mythology, cupid is just a title and these men cause people to fall in love. Some of them used to be human and are reincarnated more than once. 

I think the reincarnation stories were interesting. For example, So Jae Hee (Park Ki Wong) is in love with the beautiful Baek-Ryun. However, Baek-Ryun has some jinx attached to her due to some mistakes in her past life. Jae-Hee was actually the jealous king who wanted Baek-Ryun's past self and was in love with Lee So-Hee (Kwon Ah-Reum) - who was later reincarnated as Baek-Ryun. The Gods of Fate are also represented by an old man (Kim Pub-Lae) and a nameless child god (Seo Woo-Jin).

The side love story of Cheon Dong-Gu (Park Myoung Hoon) and An Do-Ra (Gong Min Jung) also makes me chuckle. Maybe, it's because of the good acting and the funny looks. It's a beautiful combination of being funny-looking with a good acting performance. The cupids weren't allowed to fall in love and they curse the fates. Talk about how your friend falls for a cupid and then you fall for a cupid. Can it get that weirder? 

What's weird is the combination of the crime drama. Okay, I'm a sucker for Korean crime dramas. I remember liking Nana's role in Kill It. I even use her role as Do Hyun-Jin to berate Roxanne Opena in Ang Probinsyano A LOT. I even wished that Nana was cast as the sideline character detective Han Jae Hee in Cafe Minamdang. I also enjoyed Nana in Justice. I kinda missed the time when Nana was that badass prosecutor and that detective. The mystery is too hard to discuss without spoilers. I said, some spoilers, but I'd rather not spoil who carried out the dastardly deed from the past. The sideline crime drama was there because the other guy was a police officer. 

For a bit of spoilers, there's a happy ending but something had to be given up. I was thinking about the fast-forward part where both Baek Ryun and Dong Yun have a toddler. Okay, I guess fast-forwarding during the epilogue isn't anything new. I kinda like how fate was defied in the process too. 

Comments