"My Demon" VS. "My Man Is Cupid": Two Ongoing Supernatural Romances Explored

Gwencha Noona

There are two ongoing mythological supernatural shows namely My Demon and My Man is Cupid. These are still ONGOING so I can't expect to write a review any time soon. I'm just a casual fan so I tend to marathon some shows every now and then. I think about the two odd romances that I felt were released at the wrong time.

I think My Demon should've been released in October, not November...

Horror doesn't always have to be scary, right? My Demon introduces Korean folklore in a modern setting. The story of a 200-year-old demon turned human named Jeung Gu-Won (Song Kang) and a businesswoman named Do Do-Hee (Kim Yoo-Jung) creates a comedy horror. Unlike Bulgasal which is a total scare - this mixes some funny and scary elements. Sure, there are some tragic scenes to avoid this flick from becoming nonsense. Meanwhile, be ready for some Anime-ish humor as this show progresses.

Let's face it October is Halloween month. That means any kind of horror goes. It could be the scary horror genre. It could be comedy horror. I felt that My Demon's Christmas episode may have shown the production crew's frustration. Maybe, they did intend to release it in October 2023 but there were filming issues. Do-Hee preparing a HALLOWEEN CAKE for Gu-Won on Christmas might be the production crew's way of relaying a message.

Meanwhile, it seems My Man is Cupid has a better release date according to Korean customs

Cupid is was released on December 1, 2023. Is it because Christmas is romantic? Cheon Sang-Ruk (Jang Dong Yun) is a fairy. Meanwhile, Oh Baek-Ryun (Nana) is a veterinarian with bad luck. A bit of spoiler seems to suggest that Baek-Ryun is probably a fairy and not human at all. Maybe, that's why Baek-Ryun has no thread of fate or that mortal men are cursed when they meet her. 

Sang-Ruk is supposedly a love fairy. It could've been best saved for Valentine's Day IMHO. Instead, Nana does have a project with Lee Min Ho called Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint. However, with December as a romantic month, then I confess to ignorance. Christmas is a lover's holiday in South Korea so the timing was well done.  

_______

Just my two cents for December!

Comments