"Doona!" Has Suzy Act As An Idol After She Focused More On Acting


I decided to watch the nine-episode-long Doona! starring Suzy Bae and Yang Se Jong. The first time I saw Se Jong was with Shin Hye Syun in Still 17. I'll admit that Hye Sun can be a better actress than Suzy. It's not that Suzy can't act. The difference is that I watch any show with Hye Sun for the content. I tend to watch Suzy only for the eye candy. Ironically, I skip the ABiaS-CBN teleseryes even if their female actresses are prettier than those shows I watch. 

Suzy's first time to play in a music-themed drama was Dream High in 2011. After that, Suzy got more focused on other roles. I still feel it's a bummer that Vagabond never had a second season. I guess the chances of it getting a continuation are slim because Lee Seung Gi (who she also starred with in Gu Family Book) got married to actress Lee Da In. I still remember her in While You Were Sleeping and Start-Up. She moved away from the idol status to play multiple types of roles. Here, Suzy becomes the lead singer (Lee Doona) of a fictional girl group known as Dream Sweet.

IMHO Se Jong tends to be the stronger of the two. Maybe, I was too used to the comedic chemistry that Se Jong had with Shin Hye Sun (who's the better actress IMHO). Lee Won Jun (and we have a double surname romance here which was taboo for a long time) is an ordinary college student. Won Jun gets into a maze with Doona. His life as an ordinary citizen starts to get complex because he gets into a relationship with Doona. Doona finds solace in Won Jun but can it last?

For me, I think it could've used more than nine episodes. I think much could've been explored especially Doona's past and Won Jun's past. Both of them had an interesting chemistry. Sure, Suzy's not really that award-winning but she still delivers her part. It's not exactly all that good but it's not bad either. Maybe, I was too used to Suzy's post-idol image that I found this to be more of a relaxant than a stimulant. I recommend trying to give this a shot though. Who knows that you might like this better than me. 

Comments