My Thoughts On "Kamen Rider Geats" In 30 Episodes

I've been having irregular watches due to real life issues. Righ tnow, it's time to give my thoughts on Kamen Rider Revice in 30 episodes. There have been ups and downs as the series went. It premiered last year on September 4, 2022. 2022 was also the 20th anniversary of the controversial Kamen Rider Ryuki - a series that I believe was hit by Executive Meddling. The series was obviously meant to kill everyone. The Wish plot was been revived in the form of the Desire Grand Prix. I'd say that there are some areas Ryuki is better but all that got flushed out by Executive Meddling. I dare say because I doubt it neither Yasuko Kobayashi nor Toshiki Inoue would even want that Reset Button!

I heard the series was partly based on Squid Game - a Korean drama series that I didn't ride the hype on. I guess I hated how annoying the characters in Squid Game were because of their poor financial habits. Here, the participants of the Grand Desire Prix are all having that one wish granted. Ace Ukiyo just wants the ideal world. Neon Kurama wants true love in a normal life. Keiwa Sakurai wants to revive dead players. Michinaga Azuma wants a landmark in his town for Toru Imai. Fortunately, we don't have people here wanting easy money like those in Squid Game.

I do have my fishy feeling about what's behind the Desire Grand Prix. Sure, they're protecting humanity against Jyamato but that shouldn't be a game. I do feel that like Squid Game - something sinister has been behind it since the beginning. 

I guess we can't have Kamen Rider these days without layers of drama to the action huh? 

Kamen Rider Gaim gave me some drama that I wanted last 2013. I really f**ing hated Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger so sorry to fans but I really don't like it. The show would have some intrigue such as Girori manipulating the game (as the Masked Game Master, very Squid Game there). Later, Girori is written off in favor of Chirami during the Divergence Arc. Chirami is later replaced by Beroba who's part of the Jyamato. These things are hard to follow up and may need a rewatch. I actually do find this part to be messy since I found Girori to be rather cool during the Conspiracy Arc. I think Beroba isn't exactly all too cool as a staff member.

Ace discovers to have previous reincarnations. Even cooler is that Ace remembers his every incarnation when reincarnated people usually lose their memories. Ace also seeks his own mother Mitsume who became the current Goddess of Creation. Yes, that's the latest plot-dangler as Kamen Rider Geats may start to finish another quarter or what. I mean, I think the staff members are required to get the show wrapped up at a certain date. I have a feeling that's exactly what's happening right now. Ace also made a wish for a new world early on - something I felt was just weird. Ace ends up bringing back contestants whose memories were wiped out back. The character of Ace is someone who just wants a better world for people. However, he discovers much more than what he's worth. 

I think Neon's storyline got thrown into what could be writing under the influence of soju. Yeah, you probably remember how I used hic a lot in my Old Shame stories! Sure, we start with the family drama of the Kuramas. Speaking of the Kuramas, I noticed how Shinji Kasahara made his return. Yes, I'm talking about Naoto Takizawa's actor from Mirai Sentai Timeranger. IMHO, I wished that Shinji himself was signed up for Hojo Toru in Kamen Rider Agito. At first, I felt Neon was just a normal girl with a dysfunctional family. It turns out that Neon is a Replacement Goldfish created by the incumbent Goddess of Creation. The memories of her "parents" were rewritten as if the original daughter Azami (who died during a kidnapping ON HER BIRTHDAY) never existed. Even worse, Azami's memories were transferred into the Replacement Goldfish. These kinds of plots can be really confusing and hard to discuss without walking into Spoiler Territory. 

I'd say Michinaga Azuma is a better version of Masumi Inou from Gougou Sentai Boukenger. His brooding douchebag character seems to add layers. He's the rival of Ace in almost every way. Yet, there are also some noble characteristics of Michnaga as a Jerk with a Heart of Gold. I find him more tolerable than most of the douchebags written in Ryuki. I wonder if Michinaga's transformation into a half-Jyamato is just part of the drama or bad writing? Right now, I can't really be certain since I'm also notorious for enjoying stuff considered a mess. 

Recently, we're stuck in the Jyamato Grand Prix where a lot of sob stories are revealed. Granted, it's episode 25 to present so we sob story revelations are expected. I think revealing more of the characters' backgrounds in the midseason is my kind of thing. That's why I did criticize Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger's revelation of Gira's relation to Racules to be too early. Some will object to what I have to say but I felt it should've been revealed a little later. Though, I can expect King-Ohger to find new ways to handle the spilled beans of the story. 

This has me wondering how will this show end? It's been fun seeing different types of games. However, the games are deadlier than you think. I'm really thinking about how the revelation of Ace and Neon will work through the drama and action. I'd say that it's been an exciting game one way or another. Though, I'm still going to say Gaim will probably still stand out better in the Battle Royale theme. 

Comments