"Glitch" KDrama: A Weird Korean Taken On American Sci-Fi Drama

 

Certain shows with the same title and not the same as the Glitch Australian TV series - also available on Netflix. The two shows don't share the same plot so the comparison isn't going to work. Instead, maybe one should instead compare it to Close Encounters or the famed X-Files TV series from the West. We know how East meets West and West meets East happens, right? The show has both action girls, Jeon Yeo Bin (Hong Ji Hyo) and Jin A Nana (Heo Bo Ra) in one show. Though, Nana doesn't show up until the second episode and she's RIGHTFULLY a secondary character. I never had much admiration for Nana as a main character (such as in Oh My Ladylord) but she does well as a secondary character.

I've seen some shows with clear references to Western media. A good example is how Partners for Justice is clearly inspired by the documentary series Forensic Files. It seems part of the concept takes with X-Files except the latter had 200+ seasons. I'd really not bother to watch anything that long. The story has some disappearances going on. A cult led by Moon Hyung Tae (Kim Myung Hun) has been responsible for several disappearances. Ji Hyo loses her boyfriend and suspects that it was done by aliens. There's also some interesting backstory of Ji Hyo and Bo Ra which strained them. Though, it was more of a misunderstanding than anything else. 

At first, I felt the aliens were just a result of hallucinations. The supernatural elements were but theatrics. There's the Jonestone Massacre vibe in Moon's cult. Speaking of Moon, wasn't there a Korean cult that called themselves the Moonies? I felt Hyung Tae's surname was a clear reference to the late Sun Myung Moon - the founder of the MOONIES. Though the supernatural static shocks clearly aren't scientifically accurate. The show may have some scientific accuracy (such as the danger of hallucinogens) but the gadgets going haywire all of a sudden seems like some strong magnetic field. Heck, there's even a scene where butterflies formed a mysterious symbol.

The cult itself has been doing questionable practices. Drugging, brainwashing, and turning members against their families. It's very typical now, isn't it? There's even the subplot where a "member" of the cult actually is trying to recover his brainwashed daughter. How the cult formed was probably due to some alien phenomenon. An old lady simply referred to as "Mother" also had those visions of aliens. A bit of a spoiler - yes there are ALIENS in this sci-fi series. How can you even scientifically explain all the bizarre things?

I could name some issues with the show. I think having a 10 episode format instead of 15 or 20 episodes fails to flesh out characters. I think the past of Ji Hyo and Bo Ra should've been expanded. I felt the cult doesn't get much of a backstory either. I think 10 more episodes could expand on the phenomenon. Maybe, explain the gray alien or even give that gray alien some personality. Though, I hope ABiaS-CBN doesn't go as far as to adapt this, have Angel Locsin Colmenares-Arce and Shaina Garcia Magdayao play the parts, and make it into a Kokey sequel of sorts. I'd probably go bonkers if that happens. The gray alien could've played a part in revealing the cult's foundations. Seriously, I felt the show wasted a perfectly good plot.

So far, it's not a bad show either but so excellent. At times, I feared that both Ji Hyo and Bo Ra would become as wasted as Gia Moran and Emma Goodall from Power Rangers Megafail. Instead, neither Ji Hyo nor Bo Ra become a plotless mess. Though it does fail up to live to the development of the eight-episode mini-series My Name. My Name pretty much didn't really rely too much on Han So Hee (who I believe was supposed to show off her naked body). Instead, My Name wanted to develop the whole plot in eight episodes no matter how rushed it became. Here, I felt that a little bit more development space was needed since the plot can potentially be that tangled. 

Overall, it's a good watch if you're into weird series like I am. I'd still recommend it. Though, I'm really more into crime drama these days for their more mature feel. 


Comments