"Narco-Saints" (Suriname In Korean): An Interesting Netflix Crime Thriller Mini-Series

I remembered dropping Squid Game because I found the "hero" to be rather annoying. This one is an interesting mini-series that lasted for only six episodes. I'm reminded of how My Name only lasted for eight episodes. This one has some true-to-life inspirations such as how the late Jo Bong Haeng (a Korean drug lord who hid in Suriname) inspired the series' more evil villain, Jeon Yeo Hwan (Hwang Jung Min). The setting is Suriname, a country located in South America. Also, the series does have some controversy because of how negatively Suriname was portrayed. Yet, the setting as dictated by the cellphones and equipment seems to be in the late 2000s. Yeah, I remembered some of those fancier cellphones I wish I had but glad I never had them. 

The story involves a frame-up. Is it me or am I becoming in love with such stories? One such story was Innocent Defendant when a man tries to clear his name of murdering his own family. Like Innocent Defendant, a man is wrongly framed. Kang In Gu (Han Jung Woo) is wrongfully accused of smuggling cocaine. Some cocaine was found in his shipment and he gets wrongfully arrested. What happens next is Park Hae So (who appeared in Squid Game) plays Agent Choi Chang Ho. There's a very uneasy partnership, especially with how Suriname (at this point of time) was seriously infested with gangs and the like. We also have the Chinese mafia leader Chen Zhen (acted by Taiwanese actor, Chang Chen). It's interesting to see a Taiwanese actor in a South Korean production. Talk about giving a middle finger to both Communist China's and North Korea's dictators, huh? More power to the oppressed Chinese an North Koreans for that!

I think it's interesting how Jung Min plays the Sinister Minister. It's so well done that Jung Min makes you love to hate the character so much. Yes, Yeo Hwan is moonlighting as some pastor or minister in Suriname. In reality, it's a sinister cult with distorted views and practices. Church members partake in cocaine believing it to be a divine substance. This almost reminds me of Jim Jones. I find it weird that we didn't see members committing suicide for Yeo Hwan's cult. The references to the Jonestown Cult may be more coincidental than not. Jones was also said to use drugs to control his followers. Yeo Hwan does the same. It's really irritating to hear all the blasphemous talk of Yeo Hwan. Yeo Hwan is such a depraved monster who thinks he's on the right side. I think it's best if that maniac was wanted dead or alive. Yeo Hwan even controls the president via petty bribes. The guy totally knows how to play his cards rather well. Except that one must wonder why Yeo Hwan never suspected that the guy he framed was the rat that easily. Yeo Hwan also seems to be like the cult leader in the Jackie Chan movie Armor of God

The nightmare fuel is that big. Yeah, I decided to watch it late at night before going to sleep. What kept me awake wasn't the nightmare fuel. It was like reading a very good book. I felt that the show was like eating a heavy meal that was delicious and affordable. I felt that the international cast was something. We had Americans working with the South Koreans. We had a Taiwanese actor with some other ethnic Chinese actors playing the Chinese mafia. The six episodes may be short but it's really rich in content. It really shows how some decent people are just faking it. It also shows the dangers of drugs and cults. Overall, it's an interesting mini-series but not for the faint of heart. 

Comments