Kamen Rider Geats' Neon: Destined To Be A More Fleshed Out Sakura From Boukenger?

Kamen Rider Geats is pretty much like a Squid Game except it's got Kamen Rider Ryuki mixed into it. People by now know that I've had issues with Ryuki such as the bummer ending (which was clearly EXECUTIVE MEDDLING as neither Yasuko Kobayashi nor Toshiki Inoue would want it). Still, I felt Ryuki was that brave experiment but it spiraled out of control. Ryuki also introduced us to the movie-only what-if Kamen Rider named Miho Kirishima (acted by Natsuki Kato who also appeared in Hana Yori Dango). The trend of female secondary Kamen Riders has been a good innovation. Except, I feel that a lead female Kamen Rider may not be so soon unless they want to create a spin-off for women. In this case, we have Neon Kumara who's a daughter of a rich family.

I didn't want to write episode reviews until this one struck my cord. It had me thinking of Gougou Sentai Boukenger with one character - SAKURA NISHIHORI. Sakura revealed she was the only daughter of a rich family. Yeah, pretty much like Kaori Rokumeikan except she never gets entangled in a love triangle between Satoru Akashi and Masumi Inou. Sakura's concept wasn't so fully explored except in a flashback. Sakura ran away from home to FREAKING JOIN THE MILITARY. 

The development that Neon gets is something Sakura never had. We never got to see Sakura's parents or her in conflict with her parents. This early episode shows how Neon is practically just a doll to the family. Mama Kurama did get overprotective when Neon was kidnapped. Yeah, I know things like that happen but being overprotective ain't the answer. I felt like Neon's childish tendencies come from that kind of upbringing. I seriously don't blame her for leaving the house.

We also have the zombie plot. I'm reminded of Resident Evil. Anybody who turns into a zombie gets destroyed. Neon gets infected with the virus and believes her time is up. Well, we do have the rule that a game defeated means whatever status ailments are there - get deleted. Neon decides to fight through her last giving it her all. Later, Neon stands up to her mother by blocking the slap but not slapping that idiot mother back. Yeah, I kinda wish Ace Ukoyo slapped Mrs. Kurama but that would be inappropriate, right?

This week's episode also made me wish Boukenger did add more layers to Sakura. I felt Boukenger probably needed an episode with Sakura's parents. Sadly, it never did. All that was known was that Sakura ran off from her heiress status. Here, Geats may be trying to build layers that past shows weren't. Hopefully, this status as a rich heiress turned female Kamen Rider can be fleshed out. Meanwhile, I still wonder if she and Ace might get ship-teased soon. 

Comments