Did Kamen Rider Become Bandai's "Turbo Man"?

Yup this might be the new thing several years later after this movie didn't do so well!

It's the -ber months and for Filipinos - the countdown to Christmas begins, right? I was compelled to write this article when I felt that Kamen Rider may have become Bandai's "Turbo Man". For those who don't know "Turbo Man" - well it's a fictional action figure (which was later given limited releases by Funko and later had a Funko Pop doll) from the Jingle All the Way movie. It's when two fathers, Howard and Myron, both became entangled to find that Turbo Man doll which was the hottest Christmas toy. It just reminds me of how Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers once became that monster hit in 1993 (and before that, Haim Saban acquired the rights to produce X-Men: The Animated Series in 1992). 

In my years of blogging - I become critical towards Super Sentai after Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters. Okay, Power Rangers Megaforce SUCKS that that didn't mean that Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger was a masterpiece. Honestly, I don't find it wrong if I dislike both Kyoryuger and its licensed adaptation Power Rangers Dino Charge. I still think Shuriken Sentai Ninninger is only SLIGHTLY better than Power Rangers Ninja Steel. What became a "miracle" of sorts was when Ucchu Sentai Kyuranger came and was followed up by Kaito Sentai Lupiranger vs. Keisatsu Sentai Patranger. Toy sales began to increase for Super Sentai again. I found solace in Kamen Rider. I still feel Kamen Rider Gaim filled my void when both Kyoryuger and Ressha Sentai ToQGer weren't doing it. I still think the crossover of ToQGer and Gaim was still BORING AF IMHO. Sorry but that's what I think but I'll respect those who think it wasn't. The quality of a show is NEVER determined by being new or old. It's all about results, get it? 

It'd be interesting that toy sales for Kamen Rider have been rather high. In fact, it became higher than what used to be the more popular sister show, Super Sentai. Back in the Showa era - the Kamen Rider franchise had hiatuses and the like. Just of the gaps in-between some seasons. You can think how Kamen Rider Super-1 and Kamen Rider Black had a significant gap. It also took four years before Kamen Rider Skyrider aired after the rather rushed Kamen Rider Stronger. Later, this became the results since 2017 making me wonder if Super Sentai is now having some issues. But take a look at how Bandai may have turned Kamen Rider into its "Turbo Man" throughout the years...



It reminded me of the low toy sales of Super Sentai during its 45th anniversary of all times. The slump can be seen with a SIGNIFICANT DECREASE in 2020 and 2021. Sure, I'm a fan of Mashin Sentai Kiramager but it seems that the toys never did any justice. It looks like the sales of Kamen Rider Zi-O and Kamen Rider Zero-One were doing better. I wonder if this has something to do with older toy collectors as well? I still feel that Kikou Sentai Zenkaiger had an interesting concept but Junko Komura tends to fail to impress me during anniversaries. Sure, Doubotsu Sentai Zyuohger is better than Megaforce as an anniversary. However, I felt that like Megaforce, Zyuohger tends to only focus on eye candy IMHO. It's unlike how Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger truly focused more on the plot than the girls. Well, I admit that I don't find the females in Gokaiger all that hot either. 

Though, I still think the phenomenon started sometime in 2009. Some people have termed the Heisei era of Kamen Rider in two phases. There's Phase 1 (up to Kamen Rider Decade) and Phase 2 (starting with Kamen Rider W). It would be very interesting about recovering from the Decade meltdown. I could've imagined if Shougo B'Stard decided to go a rant against Decade during the time he ranted against Kamen Rider Black RX. Yeah, Black RX was a failure but it seemed that Toei Ltd. intended to wrap up the Showa era before starting the franchise all over. They did three movies during the 1990s, focused on Metal Heroes and we know what happened. The Metal Hero franchise is gone but seems to live on in Kamen Rider. Blink and you may miss MANY things that were from the Metal Hero franchise and were added into the Kamen Rider franchise more than Black RX did. 

I wonder if Decade's bad reception caused the cancellation. I even called it a friend in need of a popularity boost. Why did Toei Ltd. choose to unplug Decade while they let Black RX run its course of 47 episodes? I guess my hunch is that Toei Ltd. decided to end Kamen Rider in the meantime. Maybe, that's why Black RX was allowed to run its course. Meanwhile, I doubt they had such plans during the Heisei era. I guess, like Kamen Rider Amazon (which lasted for only 24 episodes, just imagine if Disney-era Power Rangers was THAT SHORT), Decade had some backlash. Though unlike Saban's Masked Rider - Decade got vindicated over time to the point he still appears in crossovers. I guess Masahiro Inoue has had better charm than Ted Jan Roberts. Toei Ltd. never went as far as to turn Decade into a TV show for Super Sentai. It could've been funny IF Go-Busters decided to have a scene of the villains watching a glimpse of Decade - something similar that happened in Power Rangers Time Force. I guess the hatred was so bad that Saban's Masked Rider never had any following. I guess Decade still had a following causing it to be vindicated overtime. Though, Kamen Rider Revice became a fiction within a fiction for Avatar Sentai Donbrothers

Then it started a trend. Every new Kamen Rider hit the "-ber" months. Yeah, Black premiered on October as a reboot introduction. Black got too popular that it was given a sequel that flunked. Yet, Black RX introduced new stuff that was fixed 11 years after it aired. I wonder if Bandai and Toei Ltd. Every new Kamen Rider gets into the "-ber" months more often than not. Kamen Rider EX-AID though got cut short to only 44 episodes. I guess it was because of the new Super Hero Time timeslot that caused it to be cut short. Still, it was hit during the "-ber" months. 

I guess this was because of preparation for Christmas toy sales. I guess Bandai wants to strike when the iron is hot. Sure, Super Sentai may have become a big hit in Japan. Sure, Super Sentai was once more popular but its hiatus was only after Dengekitai JAKQ was forced to end in only 35 episodes. Yeah, shortest official Super Sentai ever huh? I felt Himitsu Sentai Goranger may have overshadowed Kamen Rider Stronger (which lasted for only 39 episodes) and it ran for TWO YEARS with 84 episodes. TBH I guess Toei Ltd.'s possible greed caused Goranger's OVEREXTENSION. Just think who provided Haim Saban with additional Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger footage for his exclusive use. Toei Ltd. wanted to take advantage of Mighty Morphin's popularity during the 1990s. I guess Toei Ltd. and Bandai both agreed to really have the Kamen Rider series be in the "-ber" months. 

Sure, the toy sales were still hand in hand for some time. I guess Kamen Rider managed to win a bigger audience. Maybe, much more care was put into most of the merchandise. Maybe, Super Sentai may have hit brand fatigue more than expected. Though, one should also consider that Super Sentai has a case of mixed reception such as how Mirai Sentai Timeranger had low toy sales. I heard Go-Busters didn't have good toy sales either. I guess Kamen Rider got more love from Bandai. Maybe, that's why the toys are still cool for me. Maybe, that's why Kamen Rider Saber got into its really messy early start. I'll admit that I'm still a fan of Saber even if it did get some backlash. 

Right now,  it seems Kamen Rider Geats may have become the new "Turbo Man" this year. I think Kamen Rider Drive may have become a "Turbo Man" too which might explain why Ninninger actually had lower toy sales. For me, Drive had good toy sales and maybe that's why Ninninger had to have its crossover with it. This time, Ninninger became a show in need of a popularity boost as much as Decade. Fortunately, Ninninger may have been vindicated over time as Takaharu managed to return in Super Sentai Strongest Battle. TBH, Victor and Monty from Ninja Steel make Takaharu LOOK SMART. I still feel Zero-One had become a "Turbo Man". I guess the Zero-One figure probably sold out fast like the "Turbo Man". Maybe, people looking for a Zero-One figure on Christmas Eve may have had to settle for less with Kamen Rider Vulcan, Kamen Rider Valkyrie, or even Kamen Rider Thouser because the Kamen RIder Zero-One figures were sold too fast. 

I could imagine Bandai is getting ready for Geats' toy rush soon. I guess it's going to become another series of "Turbo Man" items. I bet it's only a matter of time before salespeople (as well as other customers)  in a toy store may laugh if anybody is looking for a Kamen Rider Geats action figure. I guess the same thing can happen this Christmas shopping season. I guess it'd be better to get your Geats now than try and get it later. 

Hmmmm... what do you think? 

Comments