Currently Watching "Cafe Minamdang"


I was running out of ideas for this blog. It's either Donbrothers, like Beast Morphers, has become my "I'm watching it so I can bash it but the yellow rangers save it!" guilty pleasure. I wanted to watch some suspense thrillers but I felt recent stress might make watching something else better. I watched Netflix's documentary series Web of Lies along with other criminal documentaries. Now, I decided to watch the ongoing series Cafe Minamdang. Okay, I've got a dumb reason with Oh Yeon Seo. Meanwhile, I wanted to watch the psychological thriller Hometown but I think I need to ease my mind. Some telenovelas can be too deep and can make you want to do some self-study. I ended up reading some criminology sites while watching the K-Drama Justice on KissAsian fansubs. 

The plot in itself seems to mix what I'm trying to get - romance, crime drama, and maybe some comic relief. The staff of AsianWiki spells the plot out as:

Nam Han-Jun (Seo In-Guk) is a former criminal profiler, who now works as a fraudster. For his scams, he disguises himself as a fortune teller and runs the fortune teller shop Minamdang. He attracts customers with his attractive physical appearance and smooth talking skills. He scams his customers for money, but he also gets involved in their cases and helps solve them. He even provides customer service for his clients. Nam Han-Jun's partners are Su-Cheol and Nam Hye-Jun. Su-Cheol runs a private detective agency and Nam Hye-Jun is Nam Han-Jun’s younger sister. She is an elite hacker.

Han Jae-Hui (Oh Yeon-Seo) has worked as a detective for 3 years. She is enthusiastic about her job and tries to follow a righteous path. Somehow, Han Jae-Hui gets involved with Nam Han-Jun.

Would we get some supernatural? Maybe, maybe not. But Han Jun IS a fraudster and an anti-hero. I can't be sure about what his reason was. It almost felt like how Choi Jin Hyuk's character Lee Tae Kyung ended up as a fraudster (of sorts). The big difference is that Cafe Minamdang seems to dwell on light-hearted scenarios and crazy martial arts. That's why I tend to watch fight documentaries - to try and understand the hard work behind martial arts. It's amazing how Yeon Seo shows her badass moves yet again. Yeon Seo may look harmless but molesting her equals a trip to the intensive care unit (ICU). 

The show premieres on both Tuesdays and Wednesdays per week. Today's the first week and I'm wondering how it'd turn out. Cartoony humor tends to mire the educational side of the show. Then again don't some law professors have a wicked sense of humor? Once again, I've given up doing weekly episode reviews. This is no exception either. I've had fun writing, doing research beyond college, and all that. However, fun activities can also be draining. Work, play, and rest are all necessary components as not to become stupid, right?  

Comments