Now Watching "The Glamorous Imperial Concubine"

Sorry if I haven't been doing any episode reviews now. Real-life is getting tight especially with trying to recover after the storm. I decided to watch through whatever shows Netflix has rented. I found a couple of interesting crime dramas, I decided to watch this show while keeping in mind that Wallace Huo married Ruby Lin last 2016. This show has Ruby as the PRODUCER and the main lead. Wallace has been an important contributor though I love to mock how his face doesn't fit into ancient drama - he's too modern-looking! 

Okay, the whole scene is HISTORICAL FICTION. However, there were the real Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms Period of 10th Century A.D. China. The story hast the rival kingdoms of Chu, Shu, and Northern Han. A love triangle is drawn while the story addresses how women were treated as "lower class" in China. A man could take as many concubines as he could while women were entitled to only one man. It was pretty much the culture of Imperial China. In fact, emperors have had the nasty habit of taking multiple consorts for some reason.

Ruby plays the titular character Ma Fuya from the Kingdom of Chu. Fuya ends up becoming fought first by two brothers (Meng Qiyou played by Kevin Yan and his bratty younger brother) and Liu Liancheng (Wallace Huo). I haven't seen much of Ruby Lin before 2011 so I can't relate. Though, I enjoyed her appearances as the criminal in Mind Game or as the hostess in Light the Night. She does her job really well even if I wanted to mock her as a "time-displaced" Chinese woman in the story. She has those features that make her more fit for modern drama.

I felt it was refreshing to see Wallace act as a villain. Though, I feel Wallace looks way too bishonen (Japanese word for a good-looking guy) for the role of a villainous Chinese imperial. Wallace's appearance could work as a modern-day villain but not an ancient villain. Though, I felt Wallace looks like Nakago in Fushigi Yuugi in this one. I wished that Fushigi Yuugi had a Chinese live remake with Jerry Yan as Tamahome looking at this. Wallace's fierce look still works even if I love to say, "Aren't you a time-displaced guy?" since he might have European blood running in his veins from either which of his parents. 

I think about Jennifer Hung's return as yet another manipulative love interest. I remembered seeing her in My Lucky Star (where Yoo Hana was a Korean in a Taiwanese drama) where she was a manipulative woman. I find her to be still good for the job as a manipulative woman. Her character as Ma Xiangyun really gets to me. I felt Liancheng had EVERY RIGHT to hit her due to her bitchy personality. I felt that Fuya could've been the true love of Liancheng if it wasn't for politics. Maybe, Xiangyun is even more villainous than the husband that doesn't love her. 

Right now, it's really another trip to old shows I want to check out. Sure, there are some new shows worth checking out. Though, I feel watching some older shows of interest can also be good. There's always the best of both worlds, right? 

Comments