Remembering "The Hospital" Starring Jerry Yan As Dr. Su Yihua

I did watch both The Hospital and Doctor Prisoner. If I must confess, I once decided to skip watching The Hospital a decade ago because of a lack of eye candy. It's ironic really that I enjoyed Black and White even if there weren't any attractive women in them. Though, I also felt that the whole medical theme may not be that interesting. I decided to watch it and find out about the struggles of being a doctor. Some want to be a doctor for fame. Others want to save lives. There's the understanding of the struggles of the health worker - something I wanted to explore during the Legacy Virus pandemic last 2020. The struggle is very real as it's portrayed by various doctors. It tries to remain as realistic as possible unlike Doctor Prisoner which took place a few years ago.

The cast didn't come cheap as Jerry Yan (as Dr. Su Yihua) gets alongside with Janine Chang (Guan Xin, his initial love interest), Leon Dai (Dr. Qiu Qingcheng), the late Richard Ng (Dr. Tang Guotai), and Kris Philips (Dr. Juang Mingzhe) to name a few. A lot of stuff happened in the hospital when stuff like internal politics, the loss of patients, and the struggles of a doctor. The struggle for power is based on doctors who want fame. Meanwhile, Dr. Su is more interested in the welfare of his patients than anything else. 

I think some of the plots involving cheating are there. Dr. Qiu ends up having an adulterous affair with Ma Yifen (Cheryl Yang) presumably out of a lack of time spent with his family. Another one is where Dr. Guan ends up going back to her former boyfriend Dr. Juang only for karma to boomerang back at her. Later. Dr. Guan ends up marrying somebody else after Dr. Juang left her. Dr. Guan ends up realizing a lesson in what it means to be a doctor when she meets another man. Dr. Qiu keeps wanting to go back to Dr. Guan. However, Dr. Guan shuns him because of the mistake she committed while Dr. Su was in the military.

For one, I didn't want to finish it and decided to sidetrack with Doctor Prisoner which IMHO was more interesting. However, the realistic presentation here still made me want to watch it. I even felt why I once wanted to be a doctor in my early years - it was for fame. I dropped that dream because of a fear of blood. The message is that the medical field is not a playground. You have to learn to live with it and be content to see lives improve while accepting some losses are inevitable. 

Comments