When Kamen Rider Drive Gets Stuck In A Zombie Apocalypse


I must admit that I hate it that Toei Ltd. could be trying to become even more "Japanese exclusive" - a move that might be detrimental to the company's future. In fact, I do get critical (at times) because not all change brings progress even if it's needed for progress. I was also a fan of Kamen Rider Drive while it's no secret that I found Shuriken Sentai Ninninger BORING. Ryoma Takeuchi got into a couple of projects after Drive such as Overprotected Kahako. Though, I decided to watch Love You as the World Ends which is a mix of several sources. It nearly reminds me of the Resident Evil franchise as a zombie virus hits. I wanted to watch All of Us are Dead but I decided to watch some Japanese shows for a change. I still feel Japanese have a stronger edge than South Koreans with TV drama. Though, Japan really should stop trying to make stuff "only for Japan". Good thing Netflix is showing Japanese shows though I wonder why Toei Ltd. hasn't allowed the company to pay for the rights of Tokusatsu? Toei's official Youtube channel doesn't even have subs for all its shows. GGRRRRR!!!!!

The show's plot has a romance stuck in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. Ryoma plays as car mechanic Hibiki Mamiya (we could use Kamen Rider Hibiki here) and his girlfriend Kurumi Ogasawara (Ayami Nakajo). There are also some other Toku alumni such as Marie Iitoyo and Takashi Sasano (who is a guest star). The show is meant ot be dark and gritty. However, I can't help but joke that realy, REALLY, we need the Toku powers to survive in this dark, gritty world! Why couldn't Marie become Kyoryu Violet? I'm no fan of Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger but still you know I wanted her to henshin there. I wish Takashi either called for the B-Fighters or the Ninningers in this dark atmosphere!

The show does get the challenge of normal human beings trying to survive the zombie apocalypse. The Golem Virus has infected humanity and is threatening to destroy the whole world. Though, we could also see the darker side of humanity as the show progresses. Season 1 shows the ethical issues of the Golem Virus. Season 2 presents how humanity can become so selfish when their "last safe haven in Japan" is run by selfish people. These ideals were written by head writer Natsuko Ikeda. Though, I almost wanted to joke that Toshiki Inoue and./or Yasuko Kobayashi were involved given their previous works. 

NTV has given a better budget even if some of the zombie make-up isn't that good. Granted, this isn't a child's show so there's a better budget. I did remember watching Kamen Rider Amazons - an adult spin-off of Kamen Rider Amazon. Amazons was an interesting spin-off. In this case, we're dealing with normal humans trying to survive. The Kamen Riders in Amazons could take care of the zombies fast. Kamen Rider Drive could need their help. Here, the fact that Ryoma is in the worst possible situation he can be without Tokusatsu powers makes this even more interesting to watch. 

Comments