My Early Thoughts On Kamen Rider Revice



As said, I don't really give updates but I only react to updates when I can or when I feel like it. I decided to do some watching with Kamen Rider Revice even if one of its cast members Subaru Kimura had that annoying blackface incident. Well, I decided to watch the series and think about how I feel more and more distant from Tokusatsu these days. I guess it's because I've watched every Heisei-era Kamen Rider series from Kamen Rider Kuuga up to Kamen Rider Zi-O. Now, it's time for me to think that I decided to give Revice a shot to see how it'd do. I've watched up to the latest episode. As always, don't expect any more episode reviews because of real-life stuff. Now, I'd like to share my thoughts on it in eight episodes.

The Igarashi family has them running the Happy Spa. They are Ikki (the hero), Daiji (who is secretly jealous), Sakura, and the parents Yukimi and Genta. Daiji works at Fenix but, for some reason, wasn't allowed to use the Rider Belt. Instead, the honor goes to his oldest brother Ikki. The jealousy thing seems to be a throwback to Geki and Burai from Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger. In the process, Ikki ends up having an evil clone in Kagero as produced by the Deadmen.

I think the show does some throwbacks to older Heisei Kamen Rider entries. For instance, Vice may be a throwback to Momotaros from Kamen Rider Den-O. Vice tends to get Ikki in hero more often than not since he's a demon produced from whatever negativity is inside Ikki. Ikki uses a Tyrannosaurus Rex stamp though he also mixes it with other animals. I guess my hype for a dinosaur-themed Kamen Rider series isn't all that it's set to be.

Meanwhile, the Deadmen also have another throwback to older series. Do you remember how Museum from Kamen Rider W and the Zodiarts from Kamen Rider Fourze fool people into becoming monsters? It's modified here when the people who have a contract with the Deadmen produce inner demons that assist them in their conquest. The whole story has an ancient artifact in South America that could create a negative demon from humans. They aim to revive their leader Gif (who is the fiance of Aguilera) while they mess up with mankind.

For me, I think the show might be a good kick. Hopefully, it will try not to make a convoluted mess like Kamen Rider Saber did (though I still enjoy it nonetheless better than Kishinryu Sentai Ryusoulger). I still think the modification of the idea from W and Fourze regarding the monsters of the week can be a cool idea This time, it seems that the human hosts are mostly vindictive people who end up in that contract. I just wonder if the first dinosaur Kamen Rider can truly live up with the hype. 

Comments