Skip to main content

Kamen Rider Saber Was a Rollercoaster Ride IMHO

 
Sorry for the delay. Some things have happened (which is rather personal) so I'm really going to do my post for Kamen Rider Saber. I can't be too sure if I'm excited for Kamen Rider Revice (which was featured in the special episode after the finale) not ever since one of its cast members did the blackface scandal. Yes, that whole picture of Subaru Kimura and his racist blackface incident is there. Well, now it's time to think about how I had a rollercoaster ride with Saber

I nearly dropped the show because of all the initial flak it got. I confess that the whole rushing to sell Bandai merchandise was really there. It was all, "Must sell toys! Must sell toys!" It's important to innovate but lousy execution can be a problem. It's like trying to introduce too many new dishes at once to the point that you end up not making a profit. I felt watching the earlier episodes was like being introduced to too many new dishes every week in a restaurant. Just imagine if you were using Foodpanda or Grab and you keep seeing new dishes in that particular restaurant every week. You certainly would lose interest eventually, right? That one factor nearly made me drop the show. 

I think a lot of twists and turns were either good or bad. The whole show of Saber is divided into four major plots - chapters 1-16 is devoted to Calibur, chapters 17-28 is the Southern Base Conspiracy, chapters 29-40 is devoted to the former Master Logos, and the finale is once again devoted to Storious. Storious temporarily gets out of the spotlight when Isaac, the current Master Logos (and became the former) appears but he's eventually (and THANKFULLY) disposed off before the finale. Though, I can also complain some mysteries should've been for later. Then again, some build-up was rather good showing that there are gray areas with both heroes and the villains. 

I was thinking about how this show manages to do Saban's Knights of Tir Na Nog more justice. Maybe, I could say that it does pay tribute to RPG far better. I think about how I had a bit of high hopes for Ryusoulger only for it to crash down as what I'd call another dinosaur Super Sentai I dislike. Again, I guess people know by now how I don't like Kyoryuger too and prefer Abaranger over it. Saber also manages to pull the Never-Ending Story into Tokusatsu. So, pretty much the show IMHO ends up driving Ryusoulger another mile downwards. That made me wish that Megiddo would have its own version of Queen Maeve. Oh well, but Storious still did his part as the main villain.

For me, I still think that despite the initial flaws - it's still entertaining. It's like how I can enjoy Kyuranger even if there's too many protagonists or how Lucky tends to grab the show like he's Lone Starr in Spandex. I still recommend watching the show for a different experience with the Kamen Rider franchise. 

Comments