Early Thoughts On The Reveal Of "Kamen Rider Revice"


I guess by now you'd notice that I don't give updates - I REACT to updates! Right now, my wish for the first DINOSAUR-THEMED Kamen Rider has come true! 2017 was the year when I got my wish for a space Super Sentai and we had it in Uchuu Sentai Kyuranger. I confess that the last two dino Super Sentai just didn't give me much of what I want. Now, thanks to Orends Range, I got the update, and here's the first update that I felt I wanted to give my own reaction towards:

In the series, our heroes will fight a demon worship organization called Dead Man. This organization uses a mysterious stamp called Bi-Stamp to materialize the devil hidden inside humans to create a monster called Deadmen. To protect an important family from the hands of a Deadman, Ikki Igarashi forms a contract with the device called Vice to transform into Kamen Rider Revi, while the devil transforms into Kamen Rider Vice!

Playing the role of Ikki Igarashi is newcomer Kentaro Maeda, while Vice will be voiced by Subaru Kimura (Doraemon). In addition, playing Ikki's siblings, namely: Daiji and Sakura are Wataru Hyuga (Our Sister's Soulmate) and Ayaka Imoto (live-action Wasteful Days of High School Girls series) respectively. Also part of the show's cast are: Hamao Noritaka (The Great Yokai War: Guardians) as Joji Karizaki, the developer of the show's Rider System, and Hayata Seki as Orteca, a Dead Man executive. 

The upcoming series is written by Hanta Kinoshita (Maestro!, Kazoku Gokko), while veteran Kamen Rider director Takayuki Shibasaki (Kamen Rider Drive: Surprise Future) will serve as the show's main director, and Kotaro Nakagawa (Kamen Rider OOO) composing the show's music. The series is produced by TV-Asahi's Chihiro Inoue (Kamen Rider Zi-O) & Kei Mizutani along with Toei's Taku Mochizuki (Mashin Sentai Kiramager). Lastly, Jun Watanabe (Kamen Rider Zero-One) will serve as the show's action director, while Hiroshi Futsuda as special effects director. 

Kamen Rider Revice is set to premiere this September 5th, replacing Kamen Rider Saber at the Super Hero Time block, but you can see Kamen Riders Revi and Vice in action before the main series starts as Superhero Senki also comes with a 23-minute Kamen Rider Revice short film! Superhero Senki just premiered today, July 22nd. Finally, the show's press conference will happen on July 27th and will be streaming on TTFC, TV-Asahi's YouTube channel, TELASA, and the Toei Tokusatsu YouTube channel.

While reading the synopsis - I can't help but do some thinking of past series again

The Kamen Rider franchise does have some weird Faustian deals during the Showa era. Fans of Kamen Rider BLACK may remember how Professor Akizuki sold his adopted son Kotaro and his biological son Nobuhiko to Gorgom. The same series had people making a pact with Gorgom in exchange for success. Skyrider has its hero giving himself up to Neo-Shocker (at first) to become the hero that will stop them. In Kamen Rider V3 - we have Joji Yuki who was a part of Destron. Now, we've got a demon worshiping organization that might be quite close to a few Showa era series. The Gorgom were practically devil worshipers and the Great Leader is like a devil of sorts. 

Also, Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger has its main villain Bandora with a pact with the malevolent Dai Satan. Zyuranger was the first dinosaur-themed Super Sentai and a strange mix of fairy tales and dinosaurs. Bakuryu Sentai Abaranger is the best dinosaur Sentai IMHO. Dai Satan is obviously the final true antagonist or Bigger Bad of Zyuranger while Bandora acted as the recurring Bid Bad. Bandora was practically a devil worshiper herself. Is the plot of Revice really partly inspired by this too?

My other concerns

So, the new writer is Manga writer Hanta Kinoshita. I wonder is it really a good idea for Toei to get new writers who haven't tried writing Toku yet and let them experiment? For me, it's a risky movie but it may help Toei find what they need to fix or finding new ways to write Toku. Meanwhile, I think having Shibasaki of Drive being part of the show is a good thing. I'm a fan of Kamen Rider Drive. Wanatabe as action director may be a good thing too since I'm also a fan of Kamen Rider Zero-One

Though, I confess that I'm becoming more and more estranged from Toku in general. Heck, isn't it obvious that I haven't been updating my Super Sentai blog and I'm no longer doing Kamen Rider weekly reviews? Then again, there are also real-life issues too. =P 

Comments