"Rurouni Kenshin: Final" Film Review

Eiga
 I remembered being a fan of the Rurouni Kenshin anime or others remember it as Samurai X. I remembered Netflix temporarily had the series but I didn't feel so excited about rewatching the Anime as much as watching the movie trilogy which the first was the origins while the next two featured Shishio Makoto's origins. Shishio's probably the most popular villain in the franchise as to have two movies devoted to him. Now, I thought about how the Anime series had its end with what I call the substandard Feng Shui Arc. I felt that Shogo Amakusa's arc was totally adding depths with a sympathetic villain who only wanted to save his people but was doing it the wrong way. After that, I remembered a Questor issue that talked about the final arc involving Enishi Yukishiro (acted by Mackenkyu, son of Sonny Chiba) of the Jinchu Arc. Yes, we NEVER got to see that in the Anime. 

The story of Kenshin is a complicated guy - a bloodthirsty killer who swore to never kill again. The four-part OVA was later adapted and altered into the Beginnings movie. In here, Enishi is the former brother-in-law of Kenshin who sought revenge for his older sister Tomoe's death. Enishi is once again another sympathetic villain you're probably going to feel sorry for when you know him. Yet, it doesn't excuse the atrocities that Enishi does throughout the film, even hurt Kaoru, or caused all those atrocities within the whole two years.

This is what I'd like to say. What the Anime failed to adapt - the movie finally did it. Yes, I was even wondering why in the world was the Jinchu Arc even left out in the Anime? It would've been badass to see Enishi animated and causing all the pain I read in only a synopsis. Like Flame of Recca and Yaiba - I felt that much potential was lost by not adapting the rest of the Manga. The movie was probably made to compensate for the lack of OVA or episodes based on the Jinchu Arc. I mean, why wasn't it made? It really is very mysterious.

For me, for those who haven't read the Manga or want to see it come to life - I think this movie is pretty good. The choreography and everything would actually make you want to see the prequel (eventually). It really comes to full circle considering that Kenshin, even during his days as a killer, truly loved his first wife, the late Tomoe. 

Comments