"Goodbye My Princess" Has A Really Weird Way To Write A Hara-Kiri

I finally finished Goodbye My Princess and the title says it all that it'll be a tragic historical drama.This ending almost reminds me of the series Demigods and Semi-Devils to which Hu Jun (Mendu in Hua Mulan: Rise of a Warrior) played its main protagonist. Hu Jun did end up committing hara-kiri at the end of the series in the midst of a war to stop it. Guess what - the picture above says it that all that the main protagonist, Xiaofeng, ended her life in a similar fashion to stop the Xi Province and Li Empire feud. 

I would say that it was dragging due to how could Xiaofeng and Chengyen can both have such a dysfunctional political marriage for most of the show's 52-episode run? Chengyen is despicable and ending their sad marriage is the way to go. Chengyen is only possessive and doesn't truly love Xiaofeng. I think Chengyen was only hurt by Xiaofeng's hara-kiri because he felt he owned her. Xiaofeng's hara-kiri was meant to stop the battle between the Xi Province and the Li Empire. Though, Chengyen did eventually become a better person but is still deluding that Xiaofeng is alive somewhere.

For me, I think the suicide really wrapped things up well in a weird way. Not that I condone to suicide. However, the suicide did serve as a punishment worse than death for Chengyen. Chengyen is still living in the delusion that Xiaofeng is still alive. None of his other wives could make him forget his dead Crown Princess. For me, it really did serve karma to the really dysfunctional Chengyen. 

Comments