Now Watching "Goodbye My Princess"


It doesn't look like I'm really out of my Super Sentai break any time soon! Right now, I decided to watch some crazy Wuxia martial arts series called Goodbye My Princess. After watching a couple of Xianxia series, I decided to for Wuxia. The series talks about the sad love story between Li Chengyen (Chen Xingxu) and Qiu Xiaofeng (Peng Xiaoran). There's the cruel world of politics and preposterous martial arts to watch in this one. The aim of a political marriage seems to have more than just that. There seems to be a brewing conspiracy while a tragedy is about to happen.

Part of the politics is Li Chengyen trying to rise into power. It's revealed early only that he realizes his "mother" the empress is only his stepmother. Chengyen's jealous stepmother poisoned the concubine (Chengyen'smother) and took him as her own. What's interesting to know is that Chengyen's stepmother is acted by longtime actress Siqin Gaowa who was a multi-awarded actress in her prime. I feel like researching about Gaowa right now to understand why she's asked to play such an important part.

The other politics is with Xiaofeng. Xiaofeng feels that the marriage to the Li Kingdom is unfair. Her crazy father thinks that a political marriage is the only way. This is pretty much a romance that would result unexpectedly. Xiaofeng (at first) doesn't like Chengyen but the two start to have a romance. I really wonder how this star-crossed romance will turn out.

So far, I'm just six episodes and it's somewhat interesting. I'm remembering the time I watched the Wuxia series Return of Condor Heroes (2006) back when I was in college. There was also Chinese Paladin (2005) which I only watched for the hot girls (Ady An, Esther Liu, Crystal Liu). Right now, I might decide to focus my energies on this one. 

Comments