My Thoughts On "Love And Redemption" Midway


So far, I've seen up to 40 episodes of Love and Redemption. As said, don't expect episode reviews from me all the time. I guess watching this Xianxia (Immortal Hero) series has distracted me away from Kamen Rider Saber (which I'm watching at my own pace now). How is this series going on? The forbidden love trope goes with the history of the sects - Shaoyang Sect, Lize Palace, and the ever-mysterious Sky Hall. Sky Hall's main leader is the Lize Palace's deputy chief who seeks nothing more than power. The Lize Palace is composed of Golden Red Birds. In Japan, they would be considered Boumas. 
 

I could talk about the unfolding mysteries of the Lize Palace and the Sky Hall. It turns out that members of Lize Palace are forbidden to marry. However, its current chieftain (who eventually dies off) is the father of the main hero Sifeng. Sifeng is a hanyo - the result of the union between a Bouma and a human being. Sifeng achieves the status of a Nagare Bouma because of his half-heritage. The main antagonist Yuan Lang seeks to control the Lize Palace and has made several members conspire to be with him. Unlike his subordinate Wu Tong (who's too obsessed with "must f*ck Linglong) - Yuan Lang is actually focused on his goals for world domination. It's amazing to see how Yuan Lang is more than prepared for the enemies like any good Wuxia villain. Yuan Lang also manages to use psychological torture on the Lize Palace Master before killing him. I just love the emotions. I also love how he torments Sifeng because he's just a hanyo or a Nagare Bouma. The tragic love story of the Lize Palace Master and a mortal woman gave birth to Sifeng. 

The curse is repeated over the son born out of a forbidden romance. I really felt sorry for Sifeng who can't reveal his status as a hanyo to Xuanji, the woman he loves. Xuanji also sees records of her past life and how all her relationships with Sifeng ended in tragedy. Sifeng isn't so fortunate to have been reborn as a Nagare Bouma. Xuanji also achieves her form as the Goddess of War which spews out the dangerous ninth heaven fire. I really find the struggles very real as Xuanji still loves Sifeng. Sifeng still loves her. Can the two be together? TBH, I kinda want to simply watch it to the very end to find out. 

Comments