Taking A Break From Kamen Rider Saber

 

I was thinking about the flak that Kamen Rider Saber has been receiving. Right now, I feel it's rightly so considering that a lot of stuff that is best "saved for last" is suddenly thrown at full decibel. How in the world are we suddenly getting this and that? 

Until now, I do agree with what Dryed Mangoez has to say about Saber:

I think Saber‘s biggest problem right now is its inability to juggle all these characters and all the different plot threads they’ve started, but have yet to expand upon. The villains are very underdeveloped. There’s no real endgame even being teased. And all we have so far is all these characters who are likeable, but are thrown into very convoluted situations that either don’t make sense or don’t illicit any strong feelings.

I do agree the characters are likable. It's what actually gave a changed mind over Ressha Sentai ToQGer - something that didn't happen immediately probably due to taste fatigue. Right now, I think I may have Kamen Rider taste fatigue considering I've watched everything from Kamen Rider Kuuga up to Kamen Rider Zero-One. I was thinking about the potential Saber has but it seems to be heading towards none. It's really a downer for me considering I had great expectations and was willing to give Kamen Rider Ghost's head writer Takuro Fukuda a chance to prove himself. Some people don't do well and do better later. Though, I wonder should I blame the producer Kazahiro Takahashi for this massive full force of throwing Bandai merchandise at once? Or should I blame Bandai?

True, innovation works but throwing everything at once doesn't. The process of innovation always involves proper planning and implementation. I can consider what happened here to a new restaurant that served good food for several years. One day, it decided to keep adding new menu items way too fast until customers are confused about what they wanted to try. It's nice to have new stuff on the menu but adding way too many would eventually derail quality control. Could that be the situation with Saber? I'm critical about every step of the way because every step matters. Innovation is not just introducing new stuff - it's also making sure what's new works! I felt that way about Shuriken Sentai Ninninger - a series that's definitely better than Power Rangers Ninja Steel but only SLIGHTLY better.

Though, I may have other excuses to take a break from Saber. No, it's not so I can focus a little more on Mashin Sentai Kiramager. The dawn of the digital age means there's a lot of new stuff that I want to check out. There's some old school stuff I still want to check out. It's just like why I took a break from the newer Super Sentai series - I wanted to check some older Super Sentai first and focus on them before watching the newer stuff. I wonder if I should check out more of the old-school Showa Riders too. I might watch some more Korean or Taiwanese crime drama. Either way, I'm taking a break from Saber for a while. Then again, my Toku vibes aren't as high as they used to be and that decline happened in the 2000s and it's already 2020. 

Comments