Kamen Rider Saber 5: My Friend, The Swordsman Of Thunder

 

While I usually wait for an arc to be over - I thought this week deserves a bit of a specail focus. Okay, I may soon drop reviewing Kamen Rider Saber episodes weekly altogether (that is if other new passions will soon put me on a break from Toku entirely). The focus this week is on Kamen Rider Espada.



Well, Juzo's actor from Samurai Sentai Shinkenger makes yet another Kamen Rider appearance. Mitsuru Karahashi was also Naoya Kaido/Snake Orphnoch in Kamen Rider Faiz before he became Juzo. I guess they wanted a bit of Shinkenger reference there since Juzo was a wandering, traitorous swordsman. 


It's also interesting to see that Zoous who controls animals does have a form similar to that from... GARO? Well, I do see a bit of the Ashu all the way back from Gougou Sentai Boukenger. The design is somewhat funny and scary at the same time.


The Piranha Megids monster (and there's more than one) is the current threat. So, I'm getting a bit of vibes from the R-18 horror movie Humanoids from the Deep. Popular culture reference? Then there's the reference with Tom Sawyer - something both the good friends Touma and Kento do. They do destroy the first two monsters but it seems there's more and the arc ain't finished.

A conflict between Zoous and Desast happens. Desast reveals the plan to devour the Wonder World. I'm exactly wondering what they intend to do. Zoous gets mad as Desast just talks too much. 



Now for the reason why I decided to write a review this week - next week will feature Ren Akamichi who is a ninja-themed Kamen Rider. Though I wonder if Toei will ever decide to create a fusion of Kamen Rider and the Metal Hero series, Sekai Ninja Jiraiya, because we still don't have a ninja-themed Kamen Rider. The closest we got was the spin-off Kamen Rider Shinobi mini-series. Gotta confess I was already critical of Shuriken Sentai Ninninger due to theme repetition and I really want a ninja-based Kamen Rider series soon.

Comments