Just Finished Watching "Innocent Defendant"

Looks like I can't get enough of Korean crime drama, right? After some investigation/police drama and the lighthearted prosecution series Pride and Prejudice - I decided to check out the darker, grittier drama series Innocent Defendant. So, I'm exposed to a lot of new casts here and I should avoid going with "What's just familiar." and check out whatever good plot there is. Innocent Defendant is an SBS show that deals with a frame-up. So, I'm very new to the cast here though many of them are already old-timers. Granted, I'm just a casual fan of everything so I can't really give a deeper review than just being that nobody giving his opinion over the Internet.

The story begins with Prosecutor Park Woong Ju (Ji Sung) who's framed up for a crime he didn't commit. Jung Woo is innocent but ends up in jail and has no memory of the incident. What's not surprising is that he was framed up by Cha Min Ho. Min Ho also has an older twin brother named Sun Ho. Both Min Ho and Sun Ho are played by the same actor, Um Ki Joon. Ki Joon has a very villainous-looking face so it's too easy to predict he's a bad guy. Ki Joon really knows how to do the villainous act. So far, I haven't seen Man of Vendetta. What I like about Ki Joon's portrayal is that he really knows how to go trollish, act really wickedly, and make himself a villain that would make you glad he's best saved for last. Many times, I feel like Woong Ju should've just ended the life of Min Ho but it's best to save the best villain for last, right? Woong Ju tries to prove he's innocent all the while Min Ho pulls out whatever devilish tricks he could. 

The story also has the past and the present meeting. Why did people turn out the way they did? Behind the villainous facade of Min Ho is a coward who can't do anything on his own or has a crazy father. Also, Seo Eun Hye is a defense lawyer who tends to lose every case but ends up winning one to defend an innocent man. Eun Hye's actress Kwon Yu Ri ain't attractive but she can win over with her performance. Oh Chang Seok also plays Kang Jun Hyuk - a prosecutor whose jealousy brings him over to the dark side but ends up turning himself in later on.

Maybe, I should be glad that this series does try to limit the violence, unlike any OCN series. I mean, the whole goring scene of Woong Ju's late wife is really brutal so I'm glad that the knife was censored out. OCN would've probably added more gore to the situation. So far, the violence is quite minimal even with all the murder incidents or that truck wreckage. They do try to cut down the violence while some necessary scenes are shown. Overall, if you're a fan of I'm innocent but I'm in jail stories - this story may be for you.

Comments