I'm Unexpectedly Trapped In "My Golden Life"

I didn't expect myself to get trapped in My Golden Life since I was obsessed with action or suspense K-Drama. Maybe it's because I'm used to short-running K-Drama, T-Drama, C-Drama, or J-Drama. Then again Princess Weiyang was kind of long and not to mention Wuxia series are usually longer than usual. I remembered Return of Condor Heroes (2006) was around 40 episodes long too. In this case, it's just your regular K-Drama where it's more on daily life, meant for the heartfelt story. It was also shown in the Philippines in GMA-7 but I couldn't stand the bad dubs. I admit that watching Stranger's second season just didn't feel so well ever since Shin Hye Sun was written off in the first season. 

Do Kyung is a persistent bugger and suitor to Ji An. Is it me or do Korean series love to use the running gag of the couple NOT liking each other at the start? They start off antagonistic with each other usually for very petty reasons. Do Kyung finds out that Ji An isn't his sister and starts liking her for some weird reason. I guess it's due to Ji An's intellect combined with her feisty behavior. I'd actually fall for Ji An even if she's considerably ugly (well, actress Hye Sun got called as ugly but she bravely stood up to the insults) because of her personality. Ji An is hardworking, eccentric, smart and somehow embodies my ideal woman. For a start, I think calling Ji An ugly is an overstatement. Plain, not pretty, suits it better. Though I admit my first reaction to Ji An was "She's so ugly!" only because the actress looks like Philippine Congresswoman Sarah Elgago. Then again, I used to have a crush on a girl who resembles Hye Sun because I had a crush on Ako in Jetman. 

What makes me think of it that maybe Do Kyung likes strong women. Maybe, that's why he broke up with his engagement with who he perceives is a weaker woman. Ji An is feisty though she starts to lose her spunk. Do Kyung will do ANYTHING to get the spunk out of Jin An even if it means irritating her to no end. The more Ji An rejects - the more Do Kyung wants her. Okay, should that even be romantic? Though at least Do Kyung isn't like the "Cup Noodle Professor" from Jetman's 10th episode. Though seeing scenes of Hye Sun eating instant noodles always triggers the "Ako-Chan" song. Not to mention, Hye Sun's short hair here resembles Ako's hairstyle back in Jetman doesn't help the situation either. I wonder why don't we get a cup noodle with Hye Sun's face on it?


I have to confess it's not easy to think of Tokusatsu when you've got Toku lookalikes. I love to mention how Hye Sun makes me want to sing the "Ako-Chan" song from Chojin Sentai Jetman. It doesn't get that actress Seo Eun Su (Ji Su) somewhat looks like Ayumi Beppu from Mahou Sentai Magiranger - one series I still hate with a passion due to how great Kyukyu Sentai GoGoFive is for me. the character of Ji Su doesn't only look like Houka but is almost just as ditzy. The only difference is Ji Su is that she's NOT a playgirl and Sun Woo Hyuk (Lee Tae Hwan who usually ends up as the other guy) seems to be her only love interest. 

Ji Su has a hard time adjusting with her real family who lost her. How she got lost was in a kidnapping. However, Ji Su still believes she was deliberately abandoned by her real family. Ji Su has a hard time getting into a sophisticated family even if they are biologically related. She did after all get lost at a very young age. Worse, Ji Su starts to feel that the family that took care of her when she was abandoned had better feelings than her biological family. However, her biological brother Du Kyung gives her sibling love where her real parents fail to do so. 

___________

As said, I'm not going to get into details with the show. I mean, I tend to binge-watch shows from years back so writing episode reviews is something I won't do. Instead, I'll just drop random thoughts here and there on shows I'm watching. 

Comments