I Just Finished "My Golden Life"

I finally finished My Golden Life which I was hesitant to watch. 52 one-hour long episodes? I was thinking it was easier to watch the Wuxia series that had 40+ minutes per episode such as Princess Weiyang which was quite long. A lot of episodes of My Golden Life would have a few minutes more depending on the coverage of the episode. So, I'm done and I never thought I'd actually finish it since I'm way too used to short K-Dramas. This one was rather long but it was rather entertaining in many ways.

I was thinking about how Shin Hye Sun actually did well with on-screen partner Park Si Hoo. Sometimes, I'd like to joke about how they had a chemistry that looked good and felt good. Looked good? Both aren't attractive and I often joke how Hye Sun's face feels melted or how she was rightfully matched with Lee Jong Suk in Hymn of Death. Hye Sun isn't pretty but she really makes up with her good acting and likability. The same goes for Si Hoo with how he acts out his character from the douchebag who later humbles himself. The coupling did some unintentionally funny scenes too. Their role as Ji An and Do Kyung deserved to win the best couple award on the 31st KBS Drama Awards. Two unattractive people deliver a spectacular performance. Eye candy doesn't make a good drama - it's all about the performance and the two brought it to the table.

The plot makes you think about life. Talk about the fact that the Choi Family's matriarch Myung Hee starts off as a despicable bitch but later starts to change. The same goes for Myung Hee's father Mr. Noh who later realizes that money isn't everything. Ji Su (the real daughter) finds more warmth in the family that raised her than her biological family. Ji Su also finds real love with Sunhyuk who was originally in love with her "sister" Ji An. There was also the whole cherishing one's family when an impending divorce of Ji Tae or that Tae Soo later has cancer. It was predictable to see that there was a false diagnosis and that it was caught too late. I really can't help but feel sorry for Ji An when she saw her father die during their outing. 

The drama can be long and not recommended if you'd just like a quick flix. Sure, I can watch 52 near half-hour episodes so easily but 52 hour-long episodes? That's equivalent to well 100 episodes if we're going by Japanese standards. I still think about how or why the drama series became a hit among Filipinos too aside from South Korea. I guess it's because it's got a lot of heartfelt moments that make you think about life. 52 episodes tend to beat around the bush yet they did manage to work it out up to the end. I'd actually recommend to at least give it a shot if you don't mind long-winded K-Dramas. 

Comments