Currently Watching "You're All Surrounded" (2014)

KDrama Buzz

Well, I guess rather than watch on what's new (for now) - I decided to watch some older series taking place last 2010 (which should be the new old school) called You're All Surrounded. One of my backtrack watching was Pride and Prejudice which starred Choi Jin Hyuk. Both series took place in 2014 which should be an interesting backtrack watching for me. If there's a lot of older series I find interesting - I want to take a break from new school to check the best of old school. This show is definitely no exception because a story's quality is determined by its execution - not whether it's old or new. 

What got me interested in the plot? Well, Lee Seung Gi has been rather action-heavy after his bratty role in Shining Inheritance. The story involves Eun Dae Gu (originally Kim Ji Yong) who witnessed the death of his mother. He has his determination to bring his mother's killer to justice. I wonder what's with directors giving Seung Gi his stereotypical stubborn guy image? After Shining Inheritance - he ends up as a stubborn guy in My Girlfriend is a Gumiho and in this drama. Should I mention all of Seung Gi's SBS characters have gone to jail early on? Seeing Seung Gi in jail in Shining Inheritance over an unpaid hotel bill and some acts of violence weren't enough. Here, he goes to jail early on because he really did something reckless.

My Rara Pop

Not to mention, Seung Gi's tends to get romantically linked in the most antagonistic way possible. Seung Gi's interaction with Han Hyo Joo in Shining Inheritance was the first. Here, he ends up in an argument with Go Ara's (not the late Goo Hara) character Eu So Soon. The romance (at least for Seung Gi in many ways) never becomes the main focus. The same treatment was given to Jin Hyuk in Pride and Prejudice. I just had a bit of a thought of I actually wanted Hyo Joo to be So Soon here because of their time together in Shining Inheritance. I mean, Dae Gu who has a problem with authority like Hwan though the root of the problem differs. Dae Gu was due to a tragic past. Though Korean drama usually doesn't do the love team treatment in contrast to some older Taiwanese series. Here, So Soon acts as a rival and possible love interest as implied by their actions.

It was interesting to watch the first four episodes and a flashback. Granted, I saw Korean Odyssey first so it's the very first time I see Cha Seung Won work with him. Seung Won's role is Captain Seo - the legendary captain. Dae Gu suspects that Captain Seo conspired with his mother's killer. I'm really going to be watching to see how it'd unfold. So far, I've enjoyed the four episodes. The hostage scenario has some light, maybe unintended comedy, though there's also some serious stuff like a lady getting stabbed off-screen. The minor laughs are probably intended to make it lighter and softer - something similar to what Pride and Prejudice did. 

I think I'll be enjoying watching this. So much for most of my plans to watch some more old school Tokusatsu or whatever. Though, I'll probably still be watching Kamen Rider Saber but don't expect the reviews to be weekly now. 

Comments