Currently Watching: "My Golden Life"

I remembered the hype on GMA-7 about My Golden Life. Personally, I preferred if a Korean series was usually just a matter of 10 episodes and up depending on the plot. However, I felt Rugal needed more than 16 episodes to spread out development among the heroes. In the case of My Golden Life - it would be very long due to 52 hour-long episodes. The main lead Shin Hye Sun presumably requested to be written out of Stranger (and season two just doesn't feel complete without her presence as a badass prosecutor) and so she could try out for My Golden Life which was her first lead role. I wanted to check out her first lead role though she did act the role of a bitchy character in Legend of the Blue Sea which I might decide to watch soon. Here, she gets her big role as Ji An while her "sister" Ji Soo (Seo Eun Soo) is the true heiress. Ji An falls for her supposed brother Choi Du Kyung (Park Si Hoo) which causes a maze of emotions.

For one, Hye Sun's performance first caught me in the true-to-life story of Hymn of Death. As said, it's been hard for me not to react over her appearance while loving her performance. What she lacks in physical beauty - she makes it up for her performance. I mean, she did get nominated as a result of My Golden Life. She's the kind of girl who's not pretty or sexy but she's got mannerisms that would make me want her. Her character Ji An seems to be my ideal lady. Her smile and performance always light up her otherwise not pretty face. Just thinking how she bravely withstood insults of people calling her "ugly" on the Internet makes me a fan of hers. Her appearance with short hair makes me want to sing the Ako-Chan noodle song from Chojin Sentai Jetman. The smile doesn't help to make her look like Ako or Blue Swallow from the said show!

Well, it's typical boy meets girl but Korean drama seems to have a knack of making misunderstandings into romance. Think about Full House where a marriage-of-convenience ends up in love. Yes, the whole meeting between gutsy Ji An and her "brother" Du Kyung isn't a good one. There was that car accident with Ji An's pride getting in the way. Later, Ji An discovers that Du Kyung isn't her brother and an unexpected attraction happens. Ji An does display some really good skills that would make her my ideal bride in spite of her not being pretty. Du Kyung doesn't realize but he's falling for a woman he's met with hostility. I guess first impressions don't last huh?  

Comments