I Just Can't Accept Gai Amatsu's Sudden Development?

It doesn't matter how much I like a show - I'll usually love to nitpick it. You may notice that I've become such a nitpicker, right? Have to admit that I didn't really care too much about storytelling as long as I've had stupid reasons for something. Kamen Rider Zero One is really what I'd call a show that had some interesting stuff going on such as the Ark plot. I was expecting the Ark to finally show up and now it's showed up. But now, it's time to tackle on one part of the show that I thought is becoming a bad turn. Yes, I'm talking about Gai Amatsu/Kamen Rider Thouser who was originally showing signs of becoming a magnificent bastard of a villain - only for him to be suddenly shifted aside in favor of The Ark. I mean, I thought the guy was already becoming more irredeemable with a lot of stuff he did. I mean, he did mess up with Isamu and Yua, right?

Then the latest development is just well, I can't decide on it. Writer Yuya Takahashi seems to be taking the writing of the show to redo something in EX-AID. You may notice that both Gai and Kuroto are pretty much alike as smug bosses. I just thought Kuroto's return as a childish anti-hero was a bad turn for the show. Kuroto and Gai have father issues which try to justify their actions. Gai's father was an abusive father. Gai had a friend in the AIBO dog which probably contained every last bit of his humanity. I really wondered was this a desperate attempt to put him aside in favor of the Ark finally gaining its personality?

Then, I ended up leaping back to a show that happened 17 years ago.I was thinking about Mikoto Nakadai in Bakuryu Sentai Abaranger. Mikoto appeared as a magnificent villain who really outdid the bad guys. I mean, he was most likely meant to be that irredeemable bastard. A dignified villain with cold blood. I was thinking about how this guy seemed innocent but was true to his codename as Abare KILLER. Unlike Takeshi Asakura who was a loose cannon - this man was apparently in control of himself. That's until you realize that a piece of the true villain the Great Evorian God, Dezumoria, was in him all along! I don't know if that's a good plot twist or what. I thought the redemption arc written by Shou Aikawa (Boukenger) and Atsushi Maekawa wasn't something that Naruhisa Arakawa had in mind. Also, both Gai and Mikoto are bishonen villains you'd want to avoid for most of their run.

I felt that Gai himself was already becoming crazier and crazier as the show went by. He was obsessed with 1,000% achievements. He also created the Ark which is really becoming Kamen Rider's version of Venjix from Power Rangers RPM and Messiah from Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters. Now, what's with his possible defection or his sudden past? I felt it could've been revealed much earlier. I felt that Yua's punch of his face was pretty well-deserved one way or another.

Right now, I wonder how this will go considering that Zero-One is probably going to get rushed in favor of the upcoming Kamen Rider Saber.

Comments