Currently Watching "Memorials" (The Ballot)

I remembered the first time I saw Jin A Nana were in two really serious TV series namely Kill It and Justice. After two serious roles, she's ended up in a lighthearted show where she's anything but like her two previous characters. Instead, she's an unemployed social activist for change named Se-Ra who's at odds with Gong-Myung (Park Sung-Hoon, who also played the main antagonist in Justice) who knew each other since childhood. The two are reunited in a lighthearted comedy. Se Ra wants to be an activist for change and tries to run for councilor in this current ONGOING TV series. 

I have to admit it's really hard to accept Nana is acting as a comedic character as Se Ra (I wonder if dubbing this series will get her named Sarah). Gong Myung is a jerk who presumably had a crush on her since childhood. They do have some tensions. In Se Ra's case, she has a very screwed-up life with an irresponsible mother and she's someone who's overly aggressive in her feminism. The use of improvised Japanese-style humor also does its charm as Se Ra is more of a cartoon character than a real person in many scenes. The cartoony humor may always bring back memories of Japan even when this is a Korean show.

So far, I don't find it that interesting. I started off with love stories and comedies but my recent preference for legal K-Drama is really kicking in. I'd imagine Nana as a detective or prosecutor but not as the activist she's here. Activist? Yes but she tends to act like a cartoon character. Also, any possible romances seem to be typical in earlier J-Drama series too. Right now, I just feel that I only have a stupid reason to watch this namely Nana. However, Nana gets overshadowed by good plots in Kill It and Justice that her good looks don't get emphasized. Hopefully, this one doesn't try to capitalize on the eye candy and focus on the plot. Then again, I've been guilty of watching K-Drama for stupid reasons too. 

Comments