Just Finished Watching "The King: Eternal Monarch"

It's finally here, the finale of Kingdom: Eternal Monarch. Why I didn't do weekly reviews and updates is because I decided to watch the show at its own pace. Personally, I think the same might happen with my Tokusatsu watching that I'd just give my opinions on updates than give updates themselves. I decided to check the KDrama that Filipinos have been watching. Is the show really appreciated on its own or are there issues that made the show popular for the wrong reasons?

The whole idea of multiverse travel really gets into it. How to deal with loving someone from another universe? The running across of counterparts happens though Lee Gon's counterpart only showed up during the finale. We also have Luna who is the counterpart of protagonist Tae Eul. People meeting their counterparts get various and unintended consequences. For example, Jeo Yeong is a royal guard of Corea (who's an only child) while his counterpart Eun Sob is a policeman with siblings.

The multiverse/timelines plot can get very confusing at times. Thankfully, it's not as messy as Kamen Rider Den-O though the whole ending can be very weird. For one, it does partly have the reset button trope from Kamen Rider Ryuki (which was obviously a result of Screw the Network) and Kamen Rider Build some time ago. Build triggered a reset button ending similar to Jikuu Senshi Spielban or Dimensional Warrior Spielban. The whole ending just ends up following it where most people forget their memories except for the protagonists. It also has some hilarious consequences like how suddenly Jeo Yeong is no longer an only child. I also felt the final battle was somehow a result of Screw the Network. Did the people at SBS and the writer Kim Eun Sook been watching Toku or other non-Korean shows? Maybe, maybe not.

For me, the whole show's being a top choice for Korean drama in Netflix Philippines is probably based on the romantic excitement than the plot. I'll have to disagree but I thought Rugal is still better than this show. I think that the K-Dramas such as Forest of Secrets and Voice are really good. This one? I think it's got a lot of edge against teleseryes and has put several old entries to shame such as Encantadia from GMA-7 or the ongoing Bagani from ABC-5. Though it's highly possible to appreciate a show for dumb reasons.

Anyway, I suggest checking out on the show and avoid the bandwagon. If you like it then like it because you like it. If you don't like it then it's your right. For me, I'm not too pleased with it on its own.

Comments