The Ongoing Bandwagong That's 'The King: Eternal Monarch'

Well, I didn't realize I'd be hooked up with love stories again after watching Kill It and Justice on KissAsian. Now, it's time for the ongoing Netflix hit The King: Eternal Monarch where it has two worlds again. Wait, didn't I just watch that before with W Two Worlds and doesn't that sound like a typical cliche in Stargate and that flunked 90s Super Mario Bros. film? Now, it's time to meet two alternate realities where one world has the Kingdom of Corea (yes, it's spelled that way in the other world) and our world which is divided into North Korea and South Korea.

Yup, Lee Min Ho is back as Lee Gon of an alternate world where Korea is still a monarchy with a prime minister who only gets a five-year term. I wonder is part of the popularity of this series superficial? Granted, some people watch K-Dramas for bad reasons and I'm one of them. If anything, I got motivated to watch OCN's Kill It and Justice because Jin A Nana is that hot. In here, Kim Go Eun is anything but hot so I would have a superficial reason to ditch it aside. However, the show does have some good progressive plots like how the unattractive Shin Hye Sun's projects get me interested. Go Eun's lack of good looks isn't an obstacle for me to try and enjoy it. Her character Jung Tae Eul would probably still get me attracted due to her strong character. Meanwhile, I do feel some Filipino women simply watch South Korean series because the men there are manlier than what teleseryes could offer. I don't think fighting against a fully trained K-Drama actor is a good idea once you consider that they've passed through mandatory military training!

Cliches? Well, Lee Gon is one guy whose father was killed by his paternal half-uncle Lee Rim. Ree Lim is pretty much like Scar in The Lion King. I really still feel the need to rewatch the classic 90s film and maybe Hamlet to where it gets part of its inspiration. Unlike Simba, Gon is already ruling over his kingdom and must look for a bride. Meanwhile, Rim is trying to take over it and didn't get the chance to sit on the throne to become an evil overlord like Scar did.

As said, when I watch a show at my own pace then don't expect episode reviews. Except for random rants every now and then but they're so random you can't expect them weekly. So far, I'm kind of slowing down with watching it because I don't like bandwagons. Also, I'm still watching Rugal which for me is far more interesting than this series. I'd probably return to watching it later but maybe not now since I don't like bandwagons in general.

Comments