Wishful Casting: Tuoba Yu In 'Princess Weiyang'


While watching Princess Weiyang - I really got into a discussion with people who think Vanness Wu did well as Tuoba Yu. However, having never been a huge fan of Vanness Wu - I could be biased here. While he's impressive in his role as a villain - I always had a better opinion of Jerry Yan. Jerry did play as the rival gangster Michael Lee in the Lupin III movie from Japan. My opinion? Jerry himself should've been Yu instead of Vanness!

Who could remember Jerry's character as Tsukasa Doumyoji or Daoming Si(Ah Si) in Meteor Garden? For me, the guy overshadowed every other Tsuakasa after him such as Dylan Wang, Lee Min Ho, and Jun Matsumoto. Who can remember the intimidating face Jerry makes before he started to change for the better? Just remember, Ah Si is hero, villain, victor, and victim rolled into one package. Ah Si is an anti-hero of sorts but started out pretty villainous for a couple of episodes. Royal brat? Check! Good actor? Check! That's why no matter how Vanness did his best - I felt Jerry could've been the better Yu over Vanness himself.

Just looking at Yu's amorous advances towards Weiyang makes me think of how Ah Si was a stalker. Yu needed some strong emotions especially with his obsessive desire over the leading lady. I thought Jerry could've pulled the whole "Must f*** Weiyang!" obsession better than Vanness ever will. Just thinking that Yu did mark people for death. I wanted to say to myself, "Where's Jerry Yan with his red tag when you need it?" 

Comments